Forum

Time Machine will back up to external HD since Catalina Update.  

RSS

I just updated to Catalina.  I have one external hard drive plugged in via USB for Time Machine.  Since the update to Catalina when I try to backup Time Machine freezes at "preparing for backup".  It never gets past this initial message.  I see the external HD in the finder and I can open up Time machine on the external and go back in time and restore files.  I just cannot make a new backup since the update.  

I have a second external HD that I rotate with the first external HD for Time Machine.  This drive was not attached to the MAC when I update to Catalina.  Now when I attach it the computer says "this disk unreadable."  I tried Disk Utility with no results.

My trouble shooting has included.  Rebooting, turning off computer entirely, removing every thing that was plugged into the USB ports except the external HD,  I have tried them in different ports . I even tried them on another MAC running Snow Leopard.  Same results.  

What happened?

TYPO. Time Machine will NOT back up to external HD..

Sorry

@dcc69923

Try booting in recovery mode and running disk utility on both the source and destination drive.

I rebooted in Recovery Mode then I ran Disk Utility. I ran it on the source as well as the the destination drive. This brilliant idea worked !

I rebooted in Recovery Mode then I ran Disk Utility. I ran it on the source as well as the the destination drive. This brilliant idea worked !

My issue has been resolved . Thanks for both ideas.

2 Answers

I'm guessing, but I suspect that you have a process fsck_hfs running, which would be doing a file system check against the Time Machine backup file system.

Applications -> Utilities -> Activity Monitor should be able to find out if you have this process running when Time Machine says "Preparing for Backup"

Again, just a guess.

No luck with Activity monitor. I did not find fsck_hfs running. Maybe a new external HD is in my future

I rebooted in Recovery Mode then I ran Disk Utility.  I ran it on the source as well as the the destination drive.  This brilliant idea worked !

My issue has been resolved .  Thanks for both ideas.

Share: