Forum

Notifications
Clear all

To Sleep or Not?  

RSS

I've been pondering a question for a while now, so I thought I'd toss it out.

With essentially all Macs these days using SSDs, is there really any difference - from either a practical standpoint or an energy standpoint - between allowing one's machine to sleep or just blanking the display?

Already with Power Nap, the machine can perform things like software updates or fetching mail, so in that sense it really isn't "sleeping" at all.  

In my case, I'm still on a mini-quest to do most of my computing on my iPad, but there are still a few applications that just aren't there.  Some, for instance FileMaker Go, works great, but only if the underlying database is open and running on a host machine.  Others just don't have a robust iOS version, but can be accessed and used via screen sharing apps such as TeamViewer, but only, of course, if the host machine is running.  If I can keep my iMac awake at all times with no real downside, that's one more step towards my goal.

What say you?

@bkmiller
Sleep is still going to use less power.

I would say a lot depends on what jobs you have scheduled to run, and whether power nap will run them or if the Mac needs to be awake to run them.

I have an old Macbook Pro acting as a backup server, so it runs all the time. It uses Carbon Copy Cloner to pull backups from 3 other laptops in the house. It also acts as a home web server.

My work Mac does backups for remote Linux systems (well it did them when it was at work, but at them moment it is home because everyone is at home).

But the other Macs in the house can sleep. If they are on the charger, Carbon Copy Cloner will wake them for their nightly backups.

4 Answers

My stock answer to this question for iMacs is “They are built to be able to be left on”. If you’re not worried about the energy consumption nor any security implication then no problem. 

Well, it's not like I'm in a production environment.  My wife and I share the iMac, and most of her computing is done on her iPhone & iPad unless she's doing occasional photo editing.  CCC runs routinely overnight.  

I don't really think I'd notice the extra energy usage, TBH.  Mostly, I'm just spitballing things and wondering if this is a feasible approach.

Thanks, Graham.

iMacs is “They are built to be able to be left on”. If you’re not worried about the energy consumption nor any security implication then no problem. 

Share: