Forum

Tons of disk not ejected properly notifications after wake, a quick solution  

RSS

Hi

Whenever I put my iMac to sleep the USB drives go to sleep with the system but then wake up on their own due to their own power management protocols and wake the mac temporarily or something. This sequence loops throughout the night and causing the mac to display a boat load of notifications warning me that the disk(s) were not correctly unmounted.

To resolve this I have to click close to each message one by one and there are literally so many that I end up clicking countless times.

Solution: Open Activity monitor and Quit the Notification Center (it will relaunch) but all the notifications are removed, freeing me of endless clicking to dismiss each notfication one by one.

Hope this info helps out others.

This topic was modified 4 months ago by Alex Santos

This does not sound/feel like the correct sleep/wake behavior.

If your Mac is really just sleeping, then disk state should remain mounted.

Unless a) the Mac is really rebooting, b) after waking up the external drives are not responding in such an electronic way that the Mac thinks they were unplugged and then they appear again and are mounted yet again, c) something else.

1 Answer

I have a short update. I had a long standing issue that I could not resolve whose resolution involved migrating to a new user account resolved the principle issue described in this post.

So where I use to have up to 50 or so notifications identifying the drive was not ejected correctly upon wake, remains but has been replaced by a single notification.

Further to this, and in response to datafornothinandbitsforfree who left a comment, I believe it is the drive's own firmware that is waking the Mac temporarily triggering the notification that is visible on full wake.

Question(s)?

o Do the USB drives have their own power supply or are they bus-powered, or a mix?

o Do you plug them directly into the back of the iMac, or is there a USB hub, or a mix?

o If you remove 1 drive per night, the problem space shift when a specific drive is removed?

o If removing just 1 drive does not change the problem space, then remove all drives, then add 1 back the next night, then add in another the next night, etc... Does that change things?

o If removing a drive (or set of drives) changes things, does changing the USB cable affect the drive's behavior, or moving it from the USB hub (assuming there is a hub), directly to the Mac, or swapping USB ports on the mac change things?

Great questions:

• They each have their PSU.
• No USB Hub (direct connect)
• Some time ago, I decided to simply live with it but I do believe I had isolated to a single drive (I will revise this issue, see NOTE below)
• I have yet to try a different USB cable on the affected drive.

Thanks for the relevant steps.
NOTE: I have completely wiped the two internal drives due to an unrelated issue and have just come back online moments ago. As a result, I will keep my eye on this to see what happens.

Share: