Forum

Unaccounted occupied space after Mojave install  

RSS

A friend has a MBPro with a 250GB SSD running the latest Mojave. Recently she got a message saying her hard drive was almost full, which made no sense. Last time I checked she had over 100GB free when she was still running High Sierra. Now it as less than 5GB free for seemingly no reason with the big change being that she upgraded to Mojave.

I ran OmniDiskSweeper with the sudo terminal command, but it shows basically what Finder shows.  Her home folder is about 60GB, System=9GB, Library=6GB and Applications= 6GB. Not even 100GB should be occupied, yet About>Storage>Manage shows 245GB occupied, 170GB of with is System. I ran GrandPerspective which reports pretty much the same as OmniDiskSweeper...the occupied space just doesn't add up

Have emptied trash. Have restarted into SafeBoot. Have run DiskUtility from Recovery partition.  The problem remains.

Is this a case where the transition to APFS just did not go well? And nuke and pave is the only option?  Or is there some explanation?

To note:  Under About>Storage>Manage, "Backups" is not listed, which I assume means there are no local backups. Are local backups so hidden that they wouldn't show up to OmniDiskSweeper running sudo?

I found the command to see local snapshots, and it showed "dataless", presumably because we had just run a backup yesterday. So I don't think it's local snapshots that is taking up the unaccounted for space.  Also, I deleted her Spotlight index and re-enabled it (saw it starting the new index), but that did nothing to bring back the free space.  When I look at About>Storage> Manage, the System is still taking up 168GB (in the Finder the System folder takes about 9).   Any other ideas how to uncover and reclaim HD space?

What if you show invisible files and get info on them?

2 Answers

Rebuild spotlight. Google should find instructions

i wonder if there are APFS snapshots that are not being seen by OmniDiskSweeper and GrandPerspective. Google APFS snapshots to see if there are instructions for checking.

That would be my guess, too. If she uses Time Machine, have her run a backup and see if the free space returns.

see comment above, but unfortunately it's not s local snapshot issue

I'm going to "Answer" this by posting it as better worded question.

Share: