Forum

Notifications
Clear all

VHS to MacBook Pro?

RSS

Topic starter

Hi All! Dave had "nothing off the top" of his head on this, and suggested that I post this here.

After crashing and burning a decade ago, with Roxio Creator 2009 for Windows, I finally decided to get off my butt and try to preserve my VHS memories with my 2015 MacBook Pro. I have discovered that it’s not just the software that is not recognized by MacOS Catalina or Windows 10, but the hardware is foreign as well. My old PC, running Windows 10 sees the USB device, but can’t seem to do anything with it, probably because it was designed for Windows XP/Vista. The Mac doesn’t even see the device.

I have come to the conclusion that I’m going to have to buy updated tools, but when I Google “VHS to Mac,” I get tons of results. Do you know of a decent product that will do the job, transferring videos from a VHS player to Mac without breaking the bank, with the bank being in the range from $50 to $75? 

Of course, I’m also hoping that I’ll be able to do some basic editing, such as trimming away unnecessary parts of videos using iMovie. I’d like to be able to complete this project before the tapes really start to degrade, and before my brain does the same thing.

Thanks and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Topic Tags
2 Answers

Hello friend, 
Im Anthony, I have used the tried and true Elgato Brand software and hardware.  Flawless at accomplishing what your trying to do. 

https://www.elgato.com/en/video-capture

Topic starter

Thank you, Anthony! I'm familiar with the Elgato name, but completely forgot about it. I'll be checking it out!

Share: