Forum

[Solved] What hub/dock to get?  

RSS

What device would you suggest in order to attach a Newertech Voyager S3 external drive as well as an OWC Ministack simultaneously to my MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)? Both are USB 3.1 gen 1 connectors. All ports on the MBP are available to use:

USB

2 - up to 5 Gbps

FireWire

Optional Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter

Thunderbolt

2 - Thunderbolt 2 (up to 20 Gbps)

Scenerio: want to have both external drives plugged in, one to run iMazing for my IOS backups and the other to run time machine backup. Once completed, I want one keystroke command to eject both drives.

TIA

Go with USB3 based devices and connectors.  It will give good performance at a low cost.

Unless you are getting an external SSD, then maybe Thunderbolt-2, but you are going to pay a premium for that, and you may find that a USB3 based SSD is fast enough.

I would go with a Thunderbolt 2 Dock that gives you USB 3.

The port on the Voyager S3 and Ministack are standard USB-B ports (yes, that happen to support USB 3.0 and USB 3.1g1 respectively), so having USB-A ports into which you plug their cables works fine. 

There are many T2 docks, though with all this OWC gear it certainly wouldn’t be a *bad* thing to consider their T2 Dock:  https://www.owcdigital.com/products/thunderbolt-2-dock

I have one of those on my iMac in the office and love it.

A bit off topic, but I thought usb 3.0 and usb 3.1g1 were the same thing? Didn’t the usb 3.0 name get killed off and changed to usb 3.1 gen 1 (5Gbps) and usb 3.1 get renamed to usb 3.1 gen 2 (10Gbps)?

@ysr50 you are absolutely correct. I completely missed that when it happened, and several folks wrote into MGG to correct me. 🙂 

I’m guessing the “USB consortium“ didn’t think things were confusing enough.  🙄 

Share: