APFS Corruption, Wi-Fi Numbering, and Backups – Mac Geek Gab Podcast 731
Note: Shownotes are complete!
- 00:00:00 Mac Geek Gab 731 for Monday, October 15, 2018 < https://macgeekgab.com/ >
- 00:01:46 GoControl Battery Powered Z-Wave Thermostat
- 00:07:24 SPONSOR: BBEdit from Bare Bones Software
- 00:09:34 MrHooks-Disable Menu Bar Translucency
- 00:13:15 Bamboozle-Can’t Control Contacts Permissions on iOS 12
- Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Contacts
- 00:15:34 NicevilleSteve-Data usage on Personal Hotspot vs. Mobile Data directly
- 00:18:39 Appleseed-Duplicate Music Tracks
- 00:22:53 Joel-Two audio signals from one Lightning Port
- 00:28:13 SPONSOR: Go to LinkedIn.com/MGG and get $50 OFF toward your first job post!
- 00:30:29 SPONSOR: Visit Capterra.com/MGG today and join the millions of people who use Capterra each month.
- 00:33:24 Ron-APFS pausing on boot
- 00:40:49 Adam-APFS Target Disk Mode killed an SSD
- 00:50:45 This week’s MGG Premium Contributors:
- John B., Elizabeth B., Ward J., Olga P., Bob P., Michael L., Jason A., Stephen A., Christopher S., Paul M., Mike C., Mark R., Chris F., Working Smarter for Mac Users, Ryan M., Neal L., Scott F., Dave C., John G., James C., Jay C., Frank A., Joe S., Abdullah B., Ari L., Barry F., Keith K., Ulysese B., John B., Ken K., Mario Z., Jon G., Ken L., Paul K., Ralph F., Dominic D., David C., Chris H., Lawrence H., Kurt T., Bob H., James N., Robin J., Rob W., Colby W., Mark W., Donald S., Andy D., Mike C.
- 00:53:20 CSF-Netgear XR700 Gaming Router
- 00:58:52 New Wi-Fi Version numbers
- 01:08:55 Mesh 2.0 from Synology’s MR2200AC
- 01:13:08 Scott-726-Try Wasabi
- 01:15:31 James-CSF-Sandisk iXpand Base
- 01:16:51 Curtis-CSFR-Duplicati
- 01:18:08 James-Speed up Apple Watch Updates with Wi-Fi
- 01:20:08 Alex-Disk Arbitrator
- 01:21:23 CSF-Blue Compass
- 01:23:30 Michael-CSF-Sync Folders Pro
- 01:25:17 MGG 731 Outtro
- Synology Cloud Station Backup – A little wonky for John and Dave
- The Mac Geek Gab iPhone app
- Active MGG Sponsors and Coupon Codes List
- You're downloading today's show from CacheFly's network
- BackBeat Media Podcast Network
@tabaholic I think you're referring to the Hybrid VPN on the NETGEAR XR700 gaming router, is that right? That's the one we discussed where you can setup an outbound VPN on the router, and then configure it to only route certain traffic across the VPN (either by type or device).
I am behind and now I have been caught. But in listening to the portion of the episode about smart thermostats it brought up a question. I heard Dave talk about having multiple zones in his house and office/studio. I have 3 zones in my home and have avoided smart thermostats because I assumed I would have to change out all three thermostats and that is cost prohibitive. Is it possible to replace one at a time with say an Ecobee and gain some benefits of the smart thermostat? I have a two story with our office above the garage as the 3rd zone. The system is a Honeywell 2005 vintage system now. If I can put one on the main floor to start while the office and 2nd story are the original Honeywell thermostats that would be worth it to me.
That’s exactly what I’ve been doing, @BigFreezer. I have a Nest in the studio but a “dumb” thermostat in the office (those are both in the same building).
In the house we have 4 zones and, up until very recently, only the main floor was on the ecobee, the rest were on dumb (old/programmable, but not Wi-Fi) thermostats. And that worked out great. No problem at all having a mix.