To RAID or Not (to RAID)? – Mac Geek Gab 805
March 9, 2020 7:30 EDT AM
Note: Shownotes are complete!
- 00:00:00 Mac Geek Gab 805 for Monday, March 9, 2020
- 00:02:05 Mace-QT-Close a Terminal Session with
- 00:04:32 Jon-QT-Reinstall iStat Menus after you migrate to new Mac
- 00:08:34 Andrew-QT-Access Notes from the iOS lock screen
- 00:10:29 Peter-To RAID or Not to RAID?
- 00:19:44 Kevin-Which SIM for a Trip to UK?
- 00:26:07 Dan-Sharing iCloud Calendar with Less Than Full Family
- Create new calendar with subset of family. Can also invite others, set read-only or read/write for each user.
- 00:30:37 Brian-Setting the default app for CarPlay
- The 480-Minute Blank Track - Things By Simon | Things By Simon
- Name track AAA so it will always play (silence) first
- 00:36:13 SXSW Canceled
- 00:44:50 SPONSOR: SimpliSafe. Enterprise-level security for your home, but with no wires to install, no long-term contracts, and just fifty-cents a day. Visit SimpliSafe.com/MacGeekGab to get free shipping and a 60-day money-back guarantee.
- 00:47:03 SPONSOR: Mint Mobile. Cut your wireless bill to just $15 per month at MintMobile.com/MGG
- 00:49:27 Guido-801-SmartDNS for Pseudo-VPN on Apple TV
- 00:51:06 Andrew-VPN for Apple TV with Unblock-Us.com
- 00:55:43 Bill-Differences between private DNS and VPN Security -
- 01:00:54 Looking for a MGG Producer
- 01:03:41 This Week’s MGG Premium Contributors:
- Patrick from Shreveport, Bruce W., Matt from Midlothian, Erik from Trondheim, Doug S., Jeff S., Daniel from London, Mary from Monterey, Ben from Sustainable Computing in Berkeley, Corrie from Kenmore, Michael from Naperville, Richard from Pontrug, Jason from St. Louis, Michael from Troy, Norton from Bethesda, Edware from Krum, Gerard from Meridian, JP from Studio City, Joel F., Kraig S., Dan E., John O., Tony G., Michael P., Paul from Tunbridge Wells, Gary from Chicago, Richard from Quakertown, Ron G., John from Vevey, Greg from Los Angeles, Robert from Oro Valley, Brian from Johnson City, Anthony from Ryde, Joe B, Eric from Albuquerque, Drake from Honolulu, Robert from Clearwater, Steven from Costa Mesa, Everett from Marina, Olga from Bellevue, Gary from Babylon, Jason from Charlestown, Lou Ann from Albuquerque, Ward from Mesa, Paul from Fishers, Mark from Milford, Joseph from Marietta, Jordan from Santa Barbara, Jay from Caledonia, Eric from Brampton, MacMonkeyBoy from Toronto.
- 01:05:47 Andrew-CSF-Irradiated Software Labs
- 01:07:39 Keith-CSF-802-iPerf3 speed test for iOS
- 01:09:09 Barry-CSF-Flighty for Tracking Flights
- 01:11:03 CSF-Eyeque Home Vision Test
- 01:14:17 CSF-OWC Envoy Pro EX
- 1750 MBps writes, 2350 MBps reads. Bus powered, TB3-only
- 01:17:36 SPONSOR: CacheFly. CacheFly's new solution Web Content Optimization analyzes your current Google Lighthouse score to optimize all your content before it's delivered to visitors without requiring any development effort from you, all in the background.
- 01:19:46 Jim in Alaska-802-Have Comcast Check Speeds after Hours
- 01:21:16 Petter-Setup live.macgeekgab.com, too
- 01:22:29 MacEdge-iCloud Drive slows down spinning drive Macs.
- 01:26:48 MGG 805 Outtro
This topic was modified 4 months ago by John F. Braun
March 9, 2020 10:00 EDT AM
RAID is obnoxious. Avoid it as much as possible. What we need is not RAID but much larger SSD, including external portable ones with 8 TB and 16 TB at least.