Long Term Storage, Photos, & Cool Stuff Found — Mac Geek Gab 851
- 00:00:00 Mac Geek Gab 851 for Monday, January 4, 2021
- Quick Tips
- 00:01:53 Mark-QT-Flash Is Dead. Time to Uninstall Flash
- 00:04:16 Tanel-Siri Usage Examples
- 00:05:27 Zoom Audio
- 00:07:16 Bill-Moving Photos to an External Drive
- 00:11:19 Zoom -> Settings -> Audio -> Show in-meeting option to "Enable Original Sound" from microphone.
- 00:12:28 Craig-Good Travel Router?
- 00:16:20 Robert-Reader View Oddness
- 00:20:46 SPONSOR: Helix Mattresses. Go take the Helix Quiz to find out which mattress is right for you, and then save up to $200 off your mattress plus get two free pillows at HelixSleep.com/mgg.
- 00:22:24 SPONSOR: Mint Mobile. Now get your Unlimited plan for just $30/month at MintMobile.com/mgg and save big time!
- MOAR Questions
- 00:23:42 Dennis-Which types of Disk Images for Cold Storage Archives?
- 00:29:24 Mark-SSD versus HDD for Long Term Storage
- 00:34:30 Ed-Back Tap Live Listen?
- 00:38:49 Harvey-Post-Catalina Time Machine Weirdness
- diskutil list
- Q: Time Machine error with Catalina
- 00:42:37 John-QT-Force a Time Machine Backup to Specific Destination
- 00:43:39 Mike-Best Migration path from Air to iMac?
- 00:47:51 Robert-MacBook Pro 16" RAM, Battery and AirDrop
- 00:57:29 SPONSOR: TextExpander: TextExpander helps you communicate smarter. Create snippets for things you type – or copy and paste – all the time. Get 20% off your first year’s subscription at TextExpander.com/podcast
- 00:58:52 SPONSOR: BBedit and Yojimbo Holiday Bundle from Bare Bones Software. For just $59.99 now get both BBEdit and Yojimbo.
- Cool Stuff Found
- 01:00:08 CSF-Silicon Info
- 01:01:27 JP-Cleaning up Music/iTunes Duplicates - TunesMechanic to the Rescue
- 01:03:07 Ben-CSF-CardHop, a Contacts App Alternative
- 01:04:23 CSF-Netgear Orbi 6
- 01:08:34 Dave-CSF-Manage LaunchAgents and LaunchDaemons with Launchd.info and LaunchControl (US$18)
- 01:13:03 CSF-Eufy wired video doorbell HDR 2k
- 01:16:54 CSF-Coherence X and Unite for creating apps from websites
- 01:18:44 CSF-Microsoft Edge — A Better Chromium Browser for macOS
- 01:21:47 MGG 851 Outtro
I wish I had listened to Bill's photo storage question before getting into my current migration/cleanup cycle of Photos… oy. (Days of working in PowerPhotos to bundle things into two-year tranches)
Separate question JFB: I've managed to get my Drobo 5D in an interesting state… was working fine connected to a High Sierra machine and then I a) hooked it up to a Catalina machine; b) turned on File Sharing. Now I have mounted it back on the High Sierra machine and any write attempt causes an error -50 in Finder. Is there some secret flag I turned on by enabling sharing?