M1 Mac Troubleshooting, Quick Tips, and More — Mac Geek Gab 864
Topic starter April 5, 2021 7:30 EDT AM
- 0000 Mac Geek Gab 864 for Monday, April 5, 2021
- Quick Tips
- 0011 Alex-QT-Set a custom Finder Highlight Color*
- 0033 QT-Change Mail’s Color-quoted text*
- 0003 Matt-QT-Hover for Drag and Drop from Preview in Big Sur*
- 0041 Patrick-QT-Set your M1 Mac's security mode*
- 0025 Simon-QT-Boot M1 Macs with Thunderbolt instead of USB
- 0030 QT-Make Sure your Backups are usable
- 0058 Steve-QT-OWC's Guide to M1 Startup Modes
- 0044 1Password vs. Safari vs. Rosetta Mode
- 0008 SPONSOR: CLEAR. With locations in over 35 airports across the country, CLEAR is making it safer, easier, and faster to reunite with loved ones or take that much-needed vacation. Sign up for CLEAR now and get your first two months of CLEAR for free using code MACGEEKGAB.
- 0012 SPONSOR: TextExpander: TextExpander helps you communicate smarter. Create snippets for things you type – or copy and paste – all the time. Get 20% off your first year’s subscription at TextExpander.com/podcast
- 0055 SPONSOR: Helix Mattresses. Go take the Helix Quiz to find out which mattress is right for you, and then save up to $200 off your mattress plus get two free pillows at HelixSleep.com/mgg.
- Your Tips, Follow-ups, and Questions
- 0033 Kevin-FileVault Turned Off, Why?*
- 0035 Brian-862-Bricked M1 Macs
- 0010 Dave’s new M1 Mac is coming
- 0039 Rodney-Multiple Ethernet Connections, Time Machine Backup
- 0006 Joe-When is a drive failing?
- 0014 JFB=Backblaze Hard Drive Stats for 2020
- 0041 Robert-Archival Storage and Shelf Life of an SSD
- 0007 Gary-CSF-Polar Backup 5TB*
- 0033 CSF-Scannr to scan bar codes on your drivers’ license
- 0040 Dennis-Why is Synology Making Hard Drives?
- 0112 Explaining Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs)*
- 0148 Darryl-Quick Look Email Search Fix (maybe?)
- 0158 MGG 864 Outtro
This topic was modified 8 months ago by Dave Hamilton
April 18, 2021 10:40 EDT AM
IHO, the information Howard Oakley provides on M1 Mac https://eclecticlight.co/m1-macs should be bookmarked on every M1 owner's web browser!
I’ve spent time reading Howard’s linked articles under the Recovery and Startup modes section https://eclecticlight.co/2020/11/28/startup-modes-for-m1-macs/ and until CCC (or other clone tool) is able to create a "true SSD cloned startup drive” and all else fails, the Recovery Mode or Fallback Recovery Mode looks like the best path to fixing a hard broke M1 OS.
With Big Sur and beyond, the most important thing that must be backed up is the Data Volume!
I guess my underlining question is the what happens using the Recovery Mode or Fallback Recovery Mode on your Photos data if it was last used on a newer OS? I HOPE I never have to find out 😳