Forum

App for Audible files  

RSS

Terence Nickolette
(@terrynicko)
March 10, 2019 9:34 EDT AM  

Anyone know is the best way to strip audible (.aa) files of protection to be able to listen to them? I saved them from Audible to my hard drive, deleted from Audible and now can’t play them.This is a great reading of a favorite book so I want to preserve it in book form. Any app suggestions would be appreciated.  

FixedOn66
(@fixedon66)
March 10, 2019 5:48 EDT PM  

Perhaps someone knows of a program that literally strips the DRM from the file. In lieu of that...

I've only done that once, after which I found I could keep listening to Audible files even when not paying for a subscription. Should they ever go out of business I might have a problem. 

Because I could play the Audible file, I used Audio Hijack to re-record the audio straight from the app. Not the quickest but it worked for me for one book.

ReplyQuote
(@dogstir)
March 11, 2019 8:31 EDT AM  

https://openaudible.org/

It works perfect! I stripped DRM from all 300+ of my audible books in one weekend using a 2013 MacBook Pro.

This post was modified 1 week ago by Jeffrey Parker

ReplyQuote
Terence Nickolette
(@terrynicko)
March 11, 2019 4:28 EDT PM  

Thanks. Tried it but my files have been removed from Audible site and are on my hard drive. This app doesn’t seem to be able to navigate to my hard drive. Will spend more time on it and see if I can use it on my files. 

ReplyQuote
Alex Santos
(@alex-santos)
March 12, 2019 4:04 EDT PM  

You can try what is suggested in this article. I can't test it as I don't have material on which I can run a process on. That being said, just a friendly reminder.

Do not circulate decrypted audio books over the internet or using any other media. According to the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) it’s a punishable offence.

By the way, telling someone how to strip DRM is not contributory to copyright infringement as per Abbey House Media v. Apple Inc. You can read more on the implications of the case here. Also, I don't believe there has ever been a case related to stripping DRM for personal use. Distribution of the material is not permitted. I don't want to go in this direction of course, my aim is to help you out and not question your motives at all. The extreneous material I am posting is for educational purposes. Staying informed helps us all. As this is a grey area, stripped DRM for personal use (unless I am misinformed) it is a good idea to research the topic so that you are comfortable with what you are doing. It doesn't hurt to learn the law's position on DRM removal.

I hope this helps.

—Alex

This post was modified 1 week ago 2 times by Alex Santos

jforbush liked
ReplyQuote
Share: