Forum

[Solved] Bluetooth Record Player + Speakers w/ Sonos Integration  

RSS

Ari Laquidara
(@tech_hero)
Trusted Member MGG Premium Member
December 27, 2018 8:37 EDT PM  

Hi all,

Just got a request from a client who wants "a bluetooth record player and a wireless surround (2.1) system that can support it for the downstairs workout room. It also needs to have an input for my existing Sonos player."

I found a nice bluetooth record player online that looks good here, and this set even includes some good-looking speakers. The thing that has me scratching my head would be how to make it all work smoothly with Sonos. It looks like the new Sonos Amp might be a good companion for the turntable? What speakers would make the most sense in this case?

Looking forward to your thoughts and recommendations!

Graham McKay
(@kiwigraham)
December 27, 2018 10:59 EDT PM  

Umm - when I get a statement like that I go back a step to check the actual operational requirements rather than a preconceived technical requirement. eg. why does the record player need to be bluetooth capable? Is it going to be used elsewhere and with a particular set of bluetooth speakers? Is the operational requirement perhaps that the speakers need to be wireless?

ReplyQuote
Ari Laquidara
(@tech_hero)
December 30, 2018 11:17 EDT PM  

Hey Graham,

Thanks for your reply. Just spoke to the customer. What she'd like is to replace her old record player and attached speakers with a situation that is cleaner with fewer wires everywhere. She'd like the new speakers to be able to seamlessly play from the record player, but also be able to play from Sonos on them.

Hope that helps? 🙂

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Graham McKay
(@kiwigraham)
January 1, 2019 6:48 EDT PM  

I think going all Sonos is going to give the most seamless experience.

May not need a new record player if the old one has appropriate line-out that could be plugged in to the line-in of a Sonos Connect (and there aren't other reasons for getting rid of it?) But if a new record player is required it wouldn't need any wireless capability.

Then use Sonos speakers as required to fill the workout room (maybe can start with just one to see how good the sound is) and if they're added to same network as existing Sonos they can receive that as their audio source as well.

ReplyQuote
Ari Laquidara
(@tech_hero)
January 1, 2019 7:07 EDT PM  

So you're saying I could go record player > Sonos Connect > Sonos Speakers? I thought Sonos Connect was designed to output to non-Sonos speakers? And why go Connect over the new Amp?

ReplyQuote
Graham McKay
(@kiwigraham)
January 1, 2019 7:22 EDT PM  

Yes.

As far as I can see from the Sonos site (haven't used it myself) the Connect works in both directions. The higher priced Amp would only be required if you wanted to use existing wired speakers. (The name indicates its primary purpose - it is an amplifier to drive the electrical current through wires to traditional speakers.)

ReplyQuote
Share: