Forum

Notifications

Catalina install on cloned drive?  

RSS

hdh15
(@hdh15)
Eminent Member
February 1, 2020 10:41 EST AM  

I’m hesitant to install Catalina on my mid 2012 MacBook Pro, due to the number of potential 32 bit programs I still might use. I have made a virtual drive of Mojave using Parallels. So I could install Catalina on my computer and use the Parallels drive for the 32 bit programs, but I’m still hesitant.  Can I take a cloned copy of my computer as it is now (I have 2 Carbon Copy Clones of it), boot from that, and install Catalina on that drive to see how it works, still leaving me the option to use my computer as it is now when I want to boot from it or does installing Catalina on an external drive still make some changes on the computer itself, making issues when I want to boot up from the computer? 

I need advice before I attempt this. Thanks.

BuckaRoo
(@buckaroo)
February 20, 2020 10:03 EST PM  

I have a mid 2012, I don't have parallels so I can't speak to that but I am running Catalina and it is works well for about a week and then freaks out and I have to do a hard restart.   I have no idea why it does this after a week of running, my previous OS would be up for months.  

The kind of errors I see in the crash log are,  WindowServer, securityd, mds, apsd

I am still researching the why this happens.

At times my fans kick in when I am running Brave browser or working in my photos library. That is something new since the SSD and Catalina were installed. 

Don't know if that helps 

ReplyQuote
Share: