Clear all

Combining Home Sharing Library in TV app on Apple TV  

RSS

Dan Wieder
(@dwieder)
Eminent Member
April 14, 2020 1:54 EDT PM  

Hello everyone,

Is there a way to add the movies, tv shows, home videos, etc. that I have converted, to show up in the TV app on the Apple TV? All the files that I have converted are on a shared drive on my Drobo 5N. I added them on my mac and I share that library through Home Sharing. However, the only way to get to those on the Apple TV is to go through the Computers app to watch them. I can see the purchased movies through the TV app, just not the ones I converted. Is there any way to combine them?

I also notice that the artwork size for the files I converted does not match the artwork for movies that I purchased when viewing on the Apple TV. Are there any easy ways to correct that too?

Thanks.

cpragman
(@cpragman)
Eminent Member
April 14, 2020 10:30 EDT PM  

Not that I’m aware of. Your Apple TV “sees” them via home sharing from your Mac. So you have to select your Mac first on the Apple TV since your Mac is the one serving the content. 

ReplyQuote
Dan Wieder
(@dwieder)
Eminent Member
April 14, 2020 10:32 EDT PM  

Thanks. I've been doing more reading tonight and I may make the switch to Plex instead. I played with it a little several years ago and then stopped.

ReplyQuote
cpragman
(@cpragman)
Eminent Member
April 14, 2020 10:49 EDT PM  

I used home sharing for videos for many years, but have switched to Plex a couple months ago. Im very happy with it. 

ReplyQuote
Dan Wieder
(@dwieder)
Eminent Member
April 16, 2020 9:04 EDT AM  

So I moved some content over to Plex, but I still have the problem of playing movies downloaded from iTunes. Since it is DRM it doesn't play in Plex. So did you come up with a solution for that or do you still have to use Plex and Apple apps for playing the DRM media? It still seems like you can't have one stop viewing.

ReplyQuote
cpragman
(@cpragman)
Eminent Member
April 16, 2020 9:09 EDT AM  

I still use the Apple apps for the DRM stuff. 

ReplyQuote
Dan Wieder
(@dwieder)
Eminent Member
April 16, 2020 11:38 EDT AM  

That's too bad. So there is not one good answer for this. Basically you have to know where your content is to watch things. That works for the person who knows how the files are laid out, but for a spouse or other family member, they could get frustrated by not easily finding the content they want to watch.

ReplyQuote
DoItForMe.Solutions
(@doitforme-solutions)
April 21, 2020 3:31 EDT PM  

There are "solutions" for getting Apple DRM content into Plex.  I don't do any of that myself, but I know others that have solved this problem and feel they are with the spirit, if not the letter, of personal use of copyright material they already "purchased" (licensed, technically)

ReplyQuote
Dan Wieder
(@dwieder)
Eminent Member
May 1, 2020 11:55 EDT AM  

Thank you.

ReplyQuote
Share: