Forum

Folders refusing to be trashed  

RSS

appleseed
(@appleseed)
Eminent Member
April 15, 2019 7:51 EDT PM  

Friend has three stubborn "untitled" folders sitting on her desktop. They cannot be moved, renamed, or put in the trash via Finder.  They stand up to "sudo rm" command in the Terminal, with a general "dave I can't do this" type of message.  There's no "cleanup" type of program running nor any anti-virus-malware type of software. I checked for Malware with an old version of Malwarebytes. She was running Mavericks. I thought for sure upgrading her to El Capitan would free those folders, but no.   Any ideas?  I'd rather not create a new user account to solve this.  

Topic Tags
datafornothinandbitsforfree
(@datafornothinandbitsforfree)
Reputable Member
April 17, 2019 11:38 EDT AM  

What does the following Terminal command say?

/bin/ls   [email protected]    ~/Desktop/untitled\ folder

Substitute the correct name.

What I'm looking for is either a flag that says uchg, or uchange, or uimmutable, or schg, or schange, or simmutable.

The chflags command can be used to remove those flags.

Or an ACL (Access Control List) that is preventing the delete.  The chmod command can be used to remove ACLs.

ReplyQuote
appleseed
(@appleseed)
Eminent Member
April 17, 2019 2:08 EDT PM  

Thanks for the command (which I tried and showed the folders were normal).  Turns out the answer was simpler.  She had clicked the "Locked" box on her Desktop folder.  I noticed this when I couldn't add a folder to the desktop. 

ReplyQuote
datafornothinandbitsforfree
(@datafornothinandbitsforfree)
Reputable Member
April 17, 2019 2:13 EDT PM  

The Lock Box would have set the "uchg" flag on the Desktop folder.  If I had been thinking clearly, I might have also asked you to use the /bin/ls command on ~/Desktop as well.  Oh well 😀 

Glad you got it straightened out.

ReplyQuote
Share: