Forum

Give Old Devices New Jobs  

RSS

MMuto
(@mmuto)
December 21, 2018 12:53 EST PM  

New tech is expensive. Our electronic waste increases every year. We live in a disposable society. 

What new jobs could you give an old device? From iPhone to iPad, from MacBook to iMac,  drives to... well, whatever. Here's your chance to share with others things you've already done, or just get creative. 

Great Scott! Collectively, we could come up with the next gen Flux Capacitor!

gli9j2lyxntri8xd3qwn

This topic was modified 4 weeks ago by MMuto

ReplyQuote
Dave Hamilton
(@davehamilton)
Admin
December 21, 2018 2:57 EST PM  

We had a bit of a discussion about this in a recent MGG, and will actually be digging a little deeper in next week's show (I just finished the agenda! :). I'll start with a few that come to mind.

• Setting up your old Mac as a server can be super-helpful. Even an old, "slow" Mac from the last 11-or-so years can function phenomenally as a Media/Plex/File server
  • Use Target Display Mode (2011 and newer, I think?) to turn your "old" iMac into a monitor for your other computer
  • Use an old iPod touch as a cam to catch people messing with your car (OK, this one probably only makes sense to folks in the MGG Stream/Chatroom who have listened to @johnfbraun's recent escapades!)

ReplyQuote
MMuto
(@mmuto)
December 28, 2018 3:32 EST PM  

Good stuff!

I've heard of people using old iPhones as cameras for their security system indoors. Friends use them to view petsitters when they are out of town. 

Great idea about the servers, too! 

ReplyQuote
shaneomac
(@shaneomac)
January 1, 2019 7:25 EST AM  

True. So much stuff that could be recycled into something else is being just laid to waste. What a waste of good resources. It's not just limited to electronics and is also affecting everything from landfills to our marine life. I don't switch products or upgrade unless i absolutely have to. I'm also into messing with old stuff to see what becomes of it. Right now, I'm planning to fix a cheap strat that just got effed up at its neck. 

ReplyQuote
Share: