Forum

Notifications
Clear all

iPhone Battery Draining Quickly on Home Wifi

Dan Wieder
(@dwieder)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

First let me say this problem is solved by turning off Wifi in iMazing on my Mac. (Thanks Dave Hamilton!). 

Several episodes so Dave Hamilton was discussing how his iPhone was draining quickly while on his home Wifi. He was trying to determine why this was occurring and only at home. A listener wrote in ad said they had the same problem and resetting the Network Settings fixed it, but only for a few days.

I too had this problem, on several IOS devices. The devices would drain their battery within 8-10 hours without any activity on them. For the past couple of weeks I had been trying to determine what was causing this drain. I tried all sorts of things including eliminating widgets, turning off Location Services, minimizing any notifications, changing Background App Refresh first to Wifi only, then off completely. Nothing seemed to address the fast drain.

Since I was going to be at home all day the other day, I put my phone into Low Power Mode as soon as I woke up. The battery was still draining quickly even in Low Power Mode. I turned off Wifi a few hours later and I could see a shift in the slope so the draining was slowed. After a few hours of this I then put the phone in Airplane mode. The slope of the drainage didn't change, indicating wifi was the issue. I finally put things back to normal and the fast drain started again. I've attached a screenshot of my battery usage for this day. I should also say the phone was rarely being used during this day as I wanted to see what the drainage would do.

Finally after communicating with Dave Hamilton, he asked me if I was using iMazing to handle wifi backups. I vaguely remember that being mentioned in one of the shows as well but completely forgot about it. Sure enough I am using iMazing to handle backups of all my IOS devices.

Solution: Disabling wfi for the devices within iMazing fixed the problem. Battery life is back to normal.

Question: Although I'm glad to have the solution, I don't understand it. My backups are scheduled late at night, when I know the devices are all connected to power and wifi. Why does enabling wifi within iMazing cause this battery drain during the day, especially if the backups don't happen until nighttime?

Anyone have any thoughts before I report this to iMazing to see what they say?

Once again, I just want to say thank you Dave Hamilton for encouraging me to turn off wifi within iMazing.

Topic Tags
Dan Wieder
(@dwieder)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I forgot to include the image showing the battery drain.

ReplyQuote
Share: