Forum

Keyboard movement and cursor movement on iPhone  

RSS

hdh15
(@hdh15)
June 28, 2018 4:39 EST PM  

I'm not sure where I learned these tips from, whether on MGG or by trial and error, but I discovered two interesting and useful keyboard options on my iPhone 7.  In a piece of writing, when I want to move the cursor around to edit something within the text, all you have to do is force touch on any key on the keyboard and when all the keys turn blank, just move your finger around and you are moving the cursor. (on an iPad it is 2 fingers down and move them immediately). The second thing is if you are a one-handed typist, again do a force touch on the circle (usually a smiley face or globe) between the microphone and the 123 key and you get a choice of shifting the keyboard to the right or left by sliding to that option making it easier to reach all of the keys. You do the same thing to get the keyboard back to full center (or tap the "< " or ">" symbol to the left or right of the keyboard, depending on which side you moved it to.)

Here's the issue. I love sharing this with all of my fellow iPhone users and for the most part, their phones (which have force touch and the latest software) do exactly as I explained and demonstrated. However, there are a number of phones that will not exhibit those actions. For example, when force touched to bring up the keyboard shifter all they get is the words "Keyboard Settings" a line and then a list of possible keyboards underneath. I can't figure out what needs to be set for them to get the same options as I have. When I check their keyboard settings, I don't see anything different from mine. Any idea why this happens? 

ReplyQuote
Graham McKay
(@kiwigraham)
June 29, 2018 8:20 EST AM  

The options for "squeezing" the keyboard to the left or right is dependant upon the currently activated keyboard including that feature.

I would expect all the stock Apple keyboards to have this - but maybe not? On my iPhone the only non-stock keyboard I have is TextExpander and when that is currently active I don't get the left/right option. 

ReplyQuote
hdh15
(@hdh15)
June 29, 2018 7:35 EST PM  

In this case most of the phones that can’t do it are those owned by people that are not that tech savvy, so the only keyboard they have on their phones is the apple one. That is why I’m having difficulty identifying the cause.

ReplyQuote
Share: