Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Looking for a basic, simple drawing/drafting app  

RSS

stanleyfam@qnet.com
(@stanleyfamqnet-com)
May 22, 2020 1:58 EDT AM  
I’ve been using PowerPoint as my go to drawing program for several decades - but not for much longer. I will be upgrading to a MacBook Pro and Catalina soon but don’t want to pay Microsoft's monthly fee for something I only use a couple times a year.

I’ve tried Keynote but find it a bit cumbersome and limiting so I am looking for a relatively simple/basic drawing app to replace PowerPoint - something with most of PowerPoint's features.

Mostly I make drawings of wood working, landscaping, and networking projects as well as floor plans and general drafting. At the very least, I'd like good text handling; line and shape styles, sizes, and colors; ability to duplicate, align, arrange, and distribute lines, shapes, and text boxes.

Got recommendations?

cpragman
(@cpragman)
Eminent Member
May 22, 2020 7:03 EDT AM  

Try inkscape.org. It’s free. They just updated it to be native on macOS (it no longer requires xquartz be installed first)

ReplyQuote
DoItForMe.Solutions
(@doitforme-solutions)
May 25, 2020 12:24 EDT PM  

Assuming you are looking for a vector oriented drawing program and not a pixel-level paint/image editor, here's an outside-the-box idea:

Adobe XD is a relatively new product but solid and proven.  It is marketed as a user interface designer, but is actually a full fledged drawing program and can do anything any vector drawing app can do, and often better.

Because their main competition is the Sketch app, which became the de facto favorite of designers for creating icons and then full UI wire drawings. (and more), Adobe XD can read existing Sketch files and most of the commands are exactly the same.

(As a former Sketch user, I no longer have to pay an annual license for Sketch or lose out on the updates/features that are frozen otherwise.)

I understand why most people don't even think of Adobe - they are now synonymous with pricey monthly subscription model for software, but Adobe XD has a free starter plan.

This is not a trial, but a continuing free plan.  Haven't looked extensively, but seems like the paid features are mainly for more storage and team/collaboration stuff which individual users don't care or need.

This post was modified 2 months ago by DoItForMe.Solutions

ReplyQuote
GroversCorner
(@groverscorner)
May 26, 2020 6:26 EDT PM  

A very powerful drawing program (comparable to a lite Visio) is Google Drawings. I've used it to put together flowcharts, org charts, and simple floorpans.

https://docs.google.com/drawings

ReplyQuote
datafornothinandbitsforfree
(@datafornothinandbitsforfree)
Reputable Member

ReplyQuote
(@dave_marshall)
June 11, 2020 6:17 EDT AM  

I prefer to check inkscape.org.

ReplyQuote
callecarli
(@callecarli)
June 18, 2020 12:35 EDT PM  

Inkscape is really good, I can recommend it!

ReplyQuote
Share: