Forum

Mac OS 10.13.6 Update failed  

RSS

KoderKev
(@koderkev)
July 11, 2018 5:14 EDT PM  

When I tried to update to the new High Sierra, the Mac downloaded and rebooted, as expected. But then it hung on the "Installing software update" screen. The progress bar had barely started when the cursor turned to a beach ball and it never progressed further. After waiting what seemed some long time, I gave up and manually powered down, then restarted. When it came back, the Mac App Store no longer listed the 10.13.6 update as an update. I checked "about this Mac" and it still says 10.13.5. Now what? Do I try to get the App Store to show it to me? Or can I find it on Apple's site?

ReplyQuote
Old UNIX Guy
(@kevinbuterbaugh)
July 11, 2018 5:40 EDT PM  

That's weird - hadn't see anything like that happen before.  But you can download the Combo Updater directly at:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1970?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Old UNIX Guy

ReplyQuote
KoderKev
(@koderkev)
July 11, 2018 7:31 EDT PM  

I’m not sure what difference there is between the 10.13.6 Update and the 10.13.6 Combo Update, but I found the former and ran it. It installed, rebooted, and when the progress bar got to the same point as before, it changed from “installing software update” to “restarting” and then just hung. Again. No beach ball this time, though. So now I’ve restarted from my clone and am running disk utility. I’ll post back when I know where this leads. 

ReplyQuote
KoderKev
(@koderkev)
July 12, 2018 12:55 EDT AM  

After running First Aid on my boot drive I was able to download and run the combo updates to completion. Weird, but maybe it was just disk corruption. Problem solved.

ReplyQuote
Share: