Forum

MacBook Pro slowed to crawl  

RSS

oldmanmax
(@oldmanmax)
December 4, 2018 2:20 EST PM  

MacBook Pro running like its slow motion mode. Takes at least 10 seconds to pull up finder. I use to be able rip a audio disc in 7-8 minutes, now it takes a half hour. Have formatted hard drive an reinstalled OS, high Sierra. Apple store has checked memory, hard drive and complete system all ok! Can it be the logic board? I am at a loss as to why it’s doing this. MacBook Pro, late 2012, 16 GB memory an i9 processor.

ReplyQuote
Graham McKay
(@kiwigraham)
December 4, 2018 7:02 EST PM  

Normally with this set of symptoms & checks I'd suspect either the hard drive or the cable to the hard drive. But if your MacBook Pro really is a late 2012 model then according to my reading it must have an SSD hard drive - which is far less likely to exhibit "slowness". I guess there is still a chance that there is a faulty cable connector to the SSD. Have you ever had the SSD replaced?

You didn't explicitly say, but I have assumed, that after you did the reformat & reinstall you performed some testing without (or before) migrating/recovering your apps & data onto the Mac. ie. you did some testing on it while it was completely "clean"?

Depending on what hardware you have available, a way of helping to isolate the problem would be to boot your Mac from an external SSD drive - connected via Thunderbolt if possible or USB 3, to see if there is any difference in responsiveness.

Otherwise taking it to a 3rd party repairer who has the inclination to confirm the problem with you and will have the ability to do a bit more in depth isolation testing of hardware.

PS. I'm typing this on a late 2012 MBPr 13"  😀 

ReplyQuote
oldmanmax
(@oldmanmax)
December 4, 2018 8:57 EST PM  

No it’s a mid2012, my bad on that. No SSD. Yes tried running with out apps on system, still slow bringing up finder. Going to send it out to Apple to see what if anything they can find, heck it’s free service. Thinking maybe logic board? Thanks for the reply. Store did check HD, saw no issues.

ReplyQuote
Graham McKay
(@kiwigraham)
December 4, 2018 11:47 EST PM  

OK - very high possibility that it is the rotational hard drive, and smaller possibility that it is the connector cable for the hard drive. Any rotational drive over 4 years old is "suspect" in my opinion.

Depends what tests the Apple Store folks did on the hard drive - if they only looked at the SMART status (eg. just via Disk Utility), and not all the various sub-parameters that the drive keeps count of, they may have missed the underlying increasing errors.

To my mind a logic board problem is more likely to cause strange things to happen rather than a general slowness. But if the Apple service is being covered for free(?) then no harm letting them look.

ReplyQuote
Share: