Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MGG 798: Time for Occam's Razor?  

RSS

DoItForMe.Solutions
(@doitforme-solutions)
January 21, 2020 12:53 EST PM  

@DaveHamilton, JBOD's are cool and fun to explore, but for the person moving from an old Mac Pro to a new one..I think this begs the simplest solution - just get a decent size SSD for the primary internal drive of the Mac Pro and then a single fast external USB-C or Thunderbolt SSD drive.

Current drives he has are small size, slow and old.  So they are probably going to need to be replaced soon anyway.  (256GB internal SSD, 2 TB SATA, two 1 TB SATA, and 1 TB NVME)

Why wouldn't you want to buy new/fast SSD drive if you are buying a top of the line Mac Pro?  I am guessing bottom line cost isn't the most important decision criteria, and one would save the cost of the JBOD and NVME external chassis parts not to mention the added complexity and reliance on old and slow SATA drives.

Dave Hamilton
(@davehamilton)
Admin
February 5, 2020 10:29 EST AM  
Posted by: @doitforme-solutions

@DaveHamilton, JBOD's are cool and fun to explore, but for the person moving from an old Mac Pro to a new one..I think this begs the simplest solution - just get a decent size SSD for the primary internal drive of the Mac Pro and then a single fast external USB-C or Thunderbolt SSD drive.

Current drives he has are small size, slow and old.  So they are probably going to need to be replaced soon anyway.  (256GB internal SSD, 2 TB SATA, two 1 TB SATA, and 1 TB NVME)

Why wouldn't you want to buy new/fast SSD drive if you are buying a top of the line Mac Pro?  I am guessing bottom line cost isn't the most important decision criteria, and one would save the cost of the JBOD and NVME external chassis parts not to mention the added complexity and reliance on old and slow SATA drives.

Fair points, @doitforme-solutions. I was more looking at this from the standpoint of "how do I connect my existing drives to my new Mac?" and solving for that.

But zooming out and just buying new drives and adapting a new storage paradigm is equally worth consideration, especially down the road.

ReplyQuote
Share: