Notifications
Clear all

Multiple Network Interfaces  

RSS

Mike Price
(@pricemi115)
Eminent Member
June 29, 2020 3:00 EDT PM  

@davehamilton - When discussing Brent's internet speed questions on MGG#822, you had recommended making sure the Ethernet interface was prioritized over the WiFi. However, if you are on a computer that "stays put" (i.e. non-laptop systems) I would recommend additionally having the WiFi on but not connected to the network. You will still get the benefit of all the continuity features, while avoiding the Bonjour issue where the name of the computer (under the Sharing preference pane) will continually change because something thinks a system with the same name already exists.

Also - thank you for mentioning turning off QoS when using a DOCSIS 3.1 modem. I recently upgraded from the Comcast modem to a Netgear CM1150V a week ago and just got a nice 20+% bump in download speeds by disabling QoS on my ASUS RT-AC5300. You should keep mentioning turning this off so that it sinks in as others update modem hardware.

Dave Hamilton
(@davehamilton)
Admin
June 29, 2020 3:20 EDT PM  

Thanks, @pricemi115! That's great advice. 

How do you keep your Wi-Fi from connecting? Any tricks there. I've tried it a few times and eventually given up. 🙂 

ReplyQuote
Mike Price
(@pricemi115)
Eminent Member
July 2, 2020 3:21 EDT PM  

My main system is the 2018 Mac mini. On the network system preference pane, I have "Ask to join new networks" unchecked and on the Advanced tab, I have the home wife unchecked for "Auto-Join". This does not seem to carry over to my iPhone, iPad, and "other" wifi-only/retired iPhones which all autojoin this wifi-network. That seems to have done it for me.

May need to actually connect once so it is in the list of known WiFi networks, then edit the pref pane to uncheck auto join and finally manually disconnect from the wifi network. 

An additional tip would be to turn off "Ask to join personal hotspots" as well, so it does not always ask to jump on your phone, etc when the ethernet network goes down.

ReplyQuote
thejtray
(@thejtray)
Eminent Member
July 9, 2020 10:44 EDT PM  

This was the best tip of 2020.  Glad I heard it on the MGG, subscribed to the mail list and have this forum.  Thank you.  

ReplyQuote
Share: