Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Network Setup Question

thejtray
(@thejtray)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Background:  My ISP is a DSL provider.  They don't exactly offer a simple solution for Bridging the Modem/Gateway.  It can be done, but I miss out on Firmware updates, which I think are still critical even though I am using the Router to manage my network.  

This weekend I took my DSL Modem/Gateway out of Transparent Bridge Mode and set my Orbi RBR50 Mesh to Access Point Mode or AP Mode.  

In my home I have CAT 5e cable running throughout and can connect the two satellites vie ethernet, but currently I have not. 

Additionally I have a TP Link 8 port switch.  As I write this I failed to grab the Brand and Model before leaving for business.  

The current set up is Modem/Gateway doing the routing, Orbi connected to Modem/Gateway, with the Switch connected to the Gateway.  Two satellites as mention are not connected via ethernet.  

My question is this.  Would I be wrong to connect the switch to the Modem/Gateway and then connect the primary Orbi to an ethernet spot in my home and connect the other two satellites to the primary Orbi wirelessly.  I would connect the satellites via ethernet, but I did not run multiple leads of ethernet, thus there primary Orbi would only one ethernet cable running to the Switch in this example.  

Or

Should I connect the two satellites to ethernet managed by switch connected to the primary Orbi.  

Or 

Just leave it as is and move about my daily routine.  

Thanks for any advice.  

Share: