Forum

Parallels and creating Mojave backup  

RSS

hdh15
(@hdh15)
Eminent Member
October 22, 2019 11:09 EST AM  

Following your correction in Episode 784. I created a disk image of my drive, and then created a Parallels Mojave formatted disk (using the recovery disk from my computer). The next step was to use Migration Assistant to import the disk image to my new virtual drive. How is that done? As far as I can see you need to be running Migration Assistant on both machines. I can run Migration Assistant on the new virtual machine with no problem, A problem occurs when I then run Migration assistant on my computer, it closes all of the programs that are running, which includes Parallels Desktop, negating the computer I need to copy the files to. Your thoughts.

jefflambert670
(@jefflambert670)
Estimable Member
October 24, 2019 9:26 EST AM  

hey @hdh15, when you finish the install of Mojave, it will ask if you want to import from a Time machine, another mac or don't transfer anything. If you choose from another Mac and mount that disk image, you'll be able to transfer your stuff. Now, the question is more if you should do this or not. I don't know about you but my drive contains more than the 32-bit app, that I would need to run in Mojave. So, I think the better approach is to do a clean install of the OS, and then just reinstall the app that you need, transfer its data from you Mojave mac, and that way you won't have to log around a big parallel drive just to run a couple of apps. By default, Parallels make a 64GB HD so your date would probably not fit in there anyway. You could also put your data on dropbox or something similar and give access to the main operating system from the virtual OS so you don't sync dropbox at two places on your machine. That way, you have your data outside the VM in case you can't start it. I had a macOS 10.9 VM and it just wouldn't start anymore. Since I had only one app that I needed to run in it, and it no longer necessary at this point, I got lucky, but it's something to consider.

Anyway, I hope that helps a bit. And for the record, I WOULD keep the image file of your whole mac too, but not copy it inside a VM but have it in case there is something you missed when upgrading to Catalina.

ReplyQuote
Share: