Forum

Remote access to iPad  

RSS

hdh15
(@hdh15)
January 11, 2019 5:20 EDT PM  

My sister just purchased a new iPad. She is in her mid-70’s and far from tech savvy. In the past when she had trouble on her PC I could remote access her computer (she lives in North Carolina and I’m in NY) from my MacBook Pro, so that I could show her what she needed to do by watching my moves as I controlled her computer. I can’t remember the program I used, but it no longer exists. I now use Team Viewer to access my family’s computers when they need help.

Team View should also allow me to access and manipulate her iPad. But as far as I can tell, that option changed with IOS 11 and hasn’t been rectified. All I can get are screen shots of her iPad, which doesn’t help, especially since she has no idea how to take a screen shot. I spend hours with her on the phone trying to talk her through, putting email passwords in and where to put them as well as how to work certain apps.

Is there another program that I can use either from my iPad or Computer that will allow me to take control of her iPad and do tech support for her?  It would save a lot of time and be able to get her up and running without having to call me as often as she does, not that I mind. This is very frustrating for her.  She has taken the iPad to the Apple Store, and the Apple person spent 2 hours with her helping. The Apple person also told her that they don’t do that kind of service any more. There are videos and workshops to help customers, all of which are too fast for her.

So any programs or ideas you know of, please pass them on to me. I’d appreciate it.

Graham McKay
(@kiwigraham)
January 11, 2019 6:55 EDT PM  

As far as I’m aware the built-in security of iOS doesn’t allow any remote control by any product.

As of recent iOS however, apps can ask for permission to perform screen recording and the latest version of TeamViewer utilises this so that you can watch in near real time what the iPad owner is doing. However, this feature is not part of the free product. In fact it is an additional cost to even the normal TeamViewer paid licence.

Most of my clients have a Mac as well as their iOS device so I frequently have them plug their idevice into the Mac and then use QuickTime “movie recording” to show the idevice screen on the screen of the Mac which I can see via TeamViewer!

I’m also interested in other methods that any support gurus on here may use 🙂

ReplyQuote
brianmonroe
(@brianmonroe)
January 11, 2019 7:05 EDT PM  

@kiwigrahm,

You are 100% correct. The built-in security on iOS does not allow that sort of functionality. Your "hack" is probably the only real way to get that to work.

ReplyQuote
brianmonroe
(@brianmonroe)
January 11, 2019 7:10 EDT PM  

@hdh15,

Your best bet would be to talk to her over the phone while you are also on your iPhone/iPad. As long as you both have the same version of iOS and apps you should be able to assist her. At least that is how I have assisted my clients in the past with their iOS devices.

ReplyQuote
hdh15
(@hdh15)
January 11, 2019 9:31 EDT PM  

That’s what I have been doing. Unfortunately, since some of her settings and mail setup are not the same as mine (mine are already set up, so I don’t need to enter passwords) we don’t see the same screen and prompts. That makes it more difficult to tell her what to do and she is not very good at describing to me what she sees.

ReplyQuote
Graham McKay
(@kiwigraham)
January 11, 2019 10:24 EDT PM  

One mechanism you might use in that case is to have her get used to pressing the buttons to create a screenshot and then from the edit/markup thumbnail that appears temporarily use the share icon to message you the screenshot.

ReplyQuote
DoItForMe.Solutions
(@doitforme-solutions)
January 12, 2019 10:57 EDT AM  

Does she have AppleCare?

You could try to have her call Apple for support.  Not because I am being snarky, but because Apple support *does* have a remote access tool that can do this.

Obviously, they can use a private API or feature not available to 3rd parties, but it works very well.

A while ago I had obscure problem with Apple Music that had to be escalated up to Engineering.  AppleCare support activated a remote live view of my iPhone so they could see the actual problem first hand.

Apple really should release this feature to 3rd parties.  It did ask me for permission to allow remote viewing of my screen and would not proceed until I OK’d it, so I really don’t see any privacy issues if done properly.

ReplyQuote
brianmonroe
(@brianmonroe)
January 12, 2019 11:37 EDT AM  

@doitforme-solutions,

I totally agree! Even if she does not have AppleCare support she should give them a call and if they want her to pay for AppleCare support for some reason she needs to do that as she needs more support than what @hdh15 can provide. Either that or have her find a local consultant who can work with her to assist her in setting up her technology so that all she has to do is use it.

ReplyQuote
Share: