Forum

Remote cloning to friend's place (and vice versa?)  

RSS

pooch
(@pooch)
September 9, 2019 1:58 EDT PM  

I remember Dave mentioning (maybe earlier this year or last year) on a show that he had some kind of arrangement whereby a backup of his computer ended up offsite at a friend's place and the friend's backup ended up at Dave's place.

I don't think this involved carrying drives back and forth, so I'm hoping there's some way to do it via Synology's many services. Does anybody recall Dave's setup?

Thanks,

Phil

Topic Tags
jefflambert670
(@jefflambert670)
Estimable Member
September 9, 2019 2:44 EDT PM  

Dave will probably answer on that, but I think it was CrashPlan he was using at the time to back up his mac to a Drobo or Synology at PilotPete's place. If I'm not mistaken, Crashplan doesn't have that option anymore. Not sure I would use a time machine to back up through the internet and even if it's possible to do so. If you and your friend have a Synology you can use Hyperbackup, Shared folder Sync, or use a third-party cloud service like Dropbox to sync your Synology to that cloud service. Depends what you want and the amount of data you have to back up, if it needs to be two-way sync or just one way, etc,...

ReplyQuote
datafornothinandbitsforfree
(@datafornothinandbitsforfree)
Reputable Member
September 9, 2019 6:36 EDT PM  

I could explain, in an overly complicated way, how you could get Carbon Copy Cloner to backup to your friend's system, but your friend would have to give Carbon Copy Cloner "root" access, and unless it is your own remote Mac at say a relative's, I do not think that would be a good idea.

Or going the other way, you give your friend 'root' access to your system, and they run Carbon Copy Cloner to pull the data from your system over the internet.

Again, the setup is rather involved.

ReplyQuote
pooch
(@pooch)
September 10, 2019 8:56 EDT AM  

Thanks for your quick and thoughtful replies. This is for a friend who wanted to be able to keep an offsite backup at a family member's house and to allow them to do the same at his house.

I wonder whether this will work: Use CCC to back up to the local Synology (say, once a day), then use one of Synology's apps to copy the backup to the remote Synology once a day. Shouldn't need to give CCC root access then, would he? Could Synology handle copying backups to and from the family member's house?

Thanks,

Phil

ReplyQuote
Share: