Forum

Retrospect... Old Name, New Home. Thoughts?  

RSS

FixedOn66
(@fixedon66)
September 20, 2019 11:44 EDT AM  

I know many here are Synology users, but I've had a Drobo since before I learned of Synology so I get info from them regularly.

They recently bought Retrospect, a backup program I used many moons ago with good results. Until this change of ownership I didn't even realize they were still in existence. They just published an article comparing Retrospect to Time Machine. https://www.retrospect.com/en/4_ways_for_time_machine_to_fail

What if any experience has anyone had with the "new and improved" Retrospect?

Topic Tags
jefflambert670
(@jefflambert670)
Estimable Member
September 20, 2019 4:40 EDT PM  

wow, I didn't know they still existed either! We used them with tapes back in the day. Now, like many others, we switch to Synology servers and are happy with their solution. Might be interesting to look at vs time machine though. Ark is another one to look at. I don't use Drobo anymore either.

Anyway, thanks for that, it was like a trip in memory lane;-)

ReplyQuote
Graham McKay
(@kiwigraham)
Reputable Member
September 22, 2019 7:19 EDT PM  

Interesting to read the acquisition history... and while it seems Retrospect as a private company over the last few years might have brought the product back into the game for enterprise type backup, being bought out by a "private equity" company that was only set up last year doesn't sound great to me!

ReplyQuote
Share: