Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Terminal not accepting password?

Brian Benjamin
(@benjietv)
Topic starter  

sword

I am trying to re install mountain lion onto my aged MacBook 2008 from a bootable flash drive as when I tried to reinstall it via recovery mode, downloading a fresh version etc I get a message that it is not available.

I now have a version and the installer files etc so good to go.

I have reformatted a flash drive and copied the appropriate text into terminal so I can boot from this drive when I do the install. After copy and pasting I hit return to start the process and it asks for my password. But every time I try I get an error message saying password error etc ?. I have even tried deleting my password for log in to my machine so there isn’t one needed . Any ideas suggestions would be welcome here ???

Graham McKay
(@kiwigraham)
Reputable Member

Presumably the command starts with sudo - which requires you to enter an admin password. It’s not possible to run sudo with an account that has a blank password.

Also, maybe you’re trying to do this from a standard (non-admin) account?

ReplyQuote
Brian Benjamin
(@benjietv)
Topic starter  

@kiwigraham thank you, I am trying this from an (admin ) account. I will add a password and see if that sorts it.

The text I am copying into terminal is this:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MountainLion --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app

Does this look right ?

ReplyQuote
Graham McKay
(@kiwigraham)
Reputable Member

The command looks about right…. Sudo triggers the password request before the rest of the command is parsed, so you have to work out the password entry before knowing if the rest is ok.

ReplyQuote
Share: