Forum

Upgrade/new purchase from 2008 iMac?  

RSS

virtualscott
(@virtualscott)
November 23, 2018 10:41 EST AM  

Today my hardworking iMac is 10 years old from when I purchased it...yay! About 2 months ago I had the 320GB drive replaced with a 500GB SSD because it was close to crashing. It now continues to run quite well, but, as you know, I am now stuck at El Capitan. I was considering the new mac Mini, but it seems a MacBook or MacBook Pro would be the better choice for the price after configuring it for my needs. Question is, why is the MacBook 12” Retina and the MacBook Pro 13.3” Retina the same price? I am leaning towards the MBP, plus today, I’ll get a $200 Apple Gift Card. Thoughts?

ReplyQuote
Ben Rosenthal
(@earthsaver)
November 23, 2018 2:09 EST PM  

These two Macs are designed for different customer segments. The 12” MacBook is a superlight notebook at only 2 pounds and comes with a minimum of 256GB storage. The base model MacBook Pro starts with half the storage and weighs an extra pound.

ReplyQuote
datafornothinandbitsforfree
(@datafornothinandbitsforfree)
Trusted Member
November 23, 2018 6:40 EST PM  

If you need the portability of a laptop, then by all means replace the iMac with a Macbook Pro.

But if you are going to be using the Mac at a fixed location, then a 27" iMac or a Mac mini both allow upgrading the RAM at a later date, will allow installing a lot more RAM than a Macbook Pro, and have more ports for attaching devices.

I do not think the 21.5" iMac can be upgraded, but I could be wrong.

This is just something else you might want to factor into your decision, assuming you have not already placed your order 😀 

ReplyQuote
Share: