Notifications
Clear all

Using Zoom on MacOS  

RSS

Dan Wieder
(@dwieder)
Eminent Member
May 28, 2020 9:19 EDT AM  

I have been reluctant to use Zoom on my macs since you have to download the client. We have used the app on the ipad, but you can view only 9 people in a call. I know there have been improvements to Zoom over the past couple of months, but even so...

Do people still have any reservations about using Zoom? I haven't created an account with them either, but I guess if I create a dummy account with them, could I use the web browser without downloading the client?

Thanks for any advice.

Topic Tags
Graham McKay
(@kiwigraham)
Reputable Member
May 28, 2020 2:20 EDT PM  

I think they’ve worked hard to improve their security model and I believe as of the end of this month all connections will be mandated to use the new security. I tend to figure that when you use the big/popular services that they are more likely to have had intense scrutiny by brains better than mine to find any “holes”. 
I don’t think that installing the app directly or not significantly changes the risks. 

ReplyQuote
Dan Wieder
(@dwieder)
Eminent Member
May 29, 2020 8:53 EDT AM  

@kiwigraham

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Ben Rosenthal
(@earthsaver)
Estimable Member
May 29, 2020 1:37 EDT PM  

I've been using Zoom for seven years. I love how flexible it is. Plus, the conference room metaphor makes sense to me and seems to work better than the phone call metaphor used by services like FaceTime and Skype.

Also, you don't need an account to use Zoom and join meetings hosted by others. However, I strongly encourage you to use the client application instead of meeting in your browser. It, too, is more flexible with audio, video, and screen sharing, and I think security as well. I think it's safer to give a single app permission to record your screen rather than your whole browser.

ReplyQuote
Dan Wieder
(@dwieder)
Eminent Member
May 30, 2020 9:19 EDT AM  

@earthsaver

Thank you. I will go ahead and give it a try.

ReplyQuote
callecarli
(@callecarli)
June 18, 2020 12:29 EDT PM  

To be honest, if you can, don't use Zoom at all. Even if they have corrected a certain number of problems / breachs ... They proved that we cannot absolutely trust them ...

ReplyQuote
Dan Wieder
(@dwieder)
Eminent Member
June 19, 2020 2:01 EDT PM  

@callecarli

Thanks for the comment. Even though I agree with you, I did download the client for the mac due to the fact that several people scheduled meetings on it. I did not create an account and have no intention of hosting a meeting.

ReplyQuote
Share: