Forum

Video Editing - Episode 760 Question  

RSS

davidb
(@davidb)
May 6, 2019 5:14 EDT PM  

Regarding the question about video editing from Barbara, who is recording her granddaughter’s softball games: her best solution may be a low-tech one. It involves a trick I’ve learned from covering high school sports events over the years. I suspect that iMovie actually would work for her using this solution, if it’s something that she can do.

Every time a “highlight” happens, I stop recording — then I point the camera at the sky or the ground (or cover the lens with my hand) and record a new clip of 1-2 seconds. Then I go back to recording again.

I may have 100 clips in a night — but when I pull the clips off the phone or the camera, the thumbnails with grass or sky (or my hand covering the lens) are very obvious. I know at a glance that every clip BEFORE those grass/sky clips is a highlight.  I drag them into the timeline and string them together, and in about 5 minutes, I’ve created a highlight reel.

The only issue will be whether Barbara has the desire to stay with the camera during the game. If it’s on a tripod atop the press box, this probably isn’t practical. But if she’s recording from the stands, this is a big time-saver.

Topic Tags
Dave Hamilton
(@davehamilton)
Admin
May 7, 2019 5:52 EDT PM  

Ooh. I like this, @davidb! Yeah, it's not an easy problem to solve (that I know of, anyway), but these kinds of productivity "hacks" often are the best solution. I'll make sure Barbara sees this one. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Share: