Forum

Which Streaming Box do you use for your TV?  

Page 1 / 2 Next
  RSS

Dave Hamilton
(@davehamilton)
Admin
June 13, 2018 1:40 EST PM  

As promised in MGG 713, I'm posting this question here for us to discuss. What streaming box do you use with your TV, and what do you think of it?

Apple TV, Roku, TiVo,  Fire Stick, ChromeCast.. something else?

ReplyQuote
thejtray
(@thejtray)
June 14, 2018 3:26 EST PM  

I have an Apple TV 4th Gen, two 3rd Gen and Two FireSticks. Initially the FireSticks were a great tool. Then there was a software update and they simply became slow and useless with Plex. The 3rd Gen Apple TVs are good for streaming, but don’t do well streaming content from iTunes via my iMac. I have these devices on two tvs along with the FireSticks. 

The Apple TV 4th Gen is on the main TV connected via Ethernet.  Plex has lately become unusable as audio crashes constantly and sometimes fails to play content.  The Plex Server is on my iMac 2015. Playing from iTunes has become more reliable.  

For me it’s easier just to stream content and not store it locally any longer.  The reason being is that i have 1000mb up and 1000mb down.  Thus cloud viewing is the best, but that may certainly not be better for all.  

ReplyQuote
jefflambert670
(@jefflambert670)
Trusted Member
June 14, 2018 4:18 EST PM  

Ok well, I'll cheat a bit here since I include two gaming consoles. I have 2 AppleTV 3, 1 AppleTV 4k, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, 2 Chromecast first gen. 

I never use the Chomecast, if I want to rent a movie I'll use my AppleTV 4k on my main 4k TV because it is definitely the device with the most movie content in 4k in Canada. I'll use the Xbox One X to watch Netflix if it's in HDR AND has Dolby ATMOS (Lost in space was really nice) Note that if you want to watch non-HDR content on Netflix, the Xbox will still show it in HDR so not optimal. PS4 only to play games, no streaming, although it can be done and if you have a PS4, and a HD TV and mainly use it for Netflix it would work fine. I use the app on my tv to watch Plex, Netflix for everything that doesn't have Dolby Atmos.

The other two AppleTV 3 are used on my wife's TV and my kids' TV respectively. They use it for Netflix mainly or to Airplay something from their iPad.

ReplyQuote
(@rtorrespla)
June 15, 2018 10:21 EST AM  

I use an Apple TV in my bedroom. I had a 1st gen for years and then upgraded to a 4th gen. I absolutely love it.

My kids use their Xbox One in the TV room and it seems to work well for them.

ReplyQuote
FixedOn66
(@fixedon66)
June 15, 2018 1:10 EST PM  

Apple TV V1 (gathering dust)

Apple TV V3 in guest loft

Apple TV V4 in family room

ReplyQuote
Graham McKay
(@kiwigraham)
June 16, 2018 6:56 EST AM  

Apple TV gen 4

In my house if operating a device isn’t very simple it ends up not being used.

ReplyQuote
jforbush
(@jforbush)
June 17, 2018 11:04 EST AM  

Plex (via Synology)

ReplyQuote
Mark Rego
(@mark-rego)
June 19, 2018 1:14 EST PM  

Apple TV gen 3.

ReplyQuote
Leon Nisenfeld
(@gadgetcoma)
June 19, 2018 8:46 EST PM  

We have 3 Apple TVs (4th gen). We get our content in a few ways:

• Netflix
  • Amazon Prime
  • OTA using the HDHomerun with the Channels DVR on a Synology and the Channels app on the Apple TVs
  • Our DVD collection that has been ripped and lives on the Synology, played via Infuse on the Apple TV 
  • The occasional iTunes purchase, PBS show, or Vudu rental courtesy of T-Mobile’s Tuesday Thanks offers

We dumped cable over two years ago, haven’t missed anything we want to watch, and save over $1,000 a year. What’s not to like?

ReplyQuote
fzelders
(@fzelders)
June 20, 2018 3:36 EST AM  

Apple TV 3rd gen in master bedroom

Apple TV 4th gen in  living room

ReplyQuote
Alphaman
(@alphaman)
June 20, 2018 9:46 EST AM  
  • Apple TV 4K in living room (thank you DirecTV Now!)
  • Playstation 3 in living room
  • Apple TV 4 in master
  • Roku enabled TV in master
  • Apple TV 3 in exercise room
  • iTunes on MacOS server with Drobo 4S
  • EyeTV to record local broadcast stations to iTunes.

I used to use a DLNA add-on to stream to the PS3, but that was problematic; the best I could ever hope for was to download the movies and TV shows to the PS3 before playing, due to a poor design of the streaming receiver in Sony’s implementation.

Started using  TV’s and they’ve been flawless with all my content on my server. Tried Plex, but it was too complex and costly for the family.  Used the Roku for a while, but the UI was sluggish and not as intuitive as the  TV’s.

ReplyQuote
RGJfromJeffersonton
(@graybill3145)
June 22, 2018 6:32 EST AM  

Apple TV 3rd gen in living room, 4th gen in basement. Just got an Amazon Fire Cube. It isn't going to work though. My wife says it looks "tacky" on the credenza. Can't hide it in the cabinet because it's voice activated. 

ReplyQuote
joelmearig
(@joelmearig)
June 22, 2018 7:37 EST PM  

One 3rd Gen Apple TV. Works great. I coming to really appreciate the TV App. I wish Netflix was a part of that system. The AirPlay 2 with my HomePod is awesome.

ReplyQuote
geoduck
(@geoduck)
June 28, 2018 12:11 EST PM  

We have a TV with a Roku built in. However if I want to stream something I usually use my iMac or iPad. 

ReplyQuote
Kirby
(@kirby)
June 29, 2018 11:07 EST AM  

Apple TV 4th gen.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2 Next
Share: