Forum

How to isolate Download Station (or any other app) from your main network connection  

RSS

Hi guys, this is not a question but a tip, I didn't know if I should put it here or in the Tips section of the forums but anyway, here it is.

I wanted to have a way to isolate my Download Station app, which I wanted to go through a third party VPN (IPvanish in my case) and not affect the rest of the NAS. I found this solution on Redit if memory serves but it was just mentioned in passing and I thought I'd explain a bit more what it involves.

First, let's just mention that there is more than one way to skin a cat, and there is probably many solution to this problem. This one involves using Docker and DDSM.

Docker is a kind of virtualization environment. So you have to install Docker, which you have to do with the Package center.

Before opening Docker, we'll need to enable Open vSwitch. You'll find that in Control Panel > Network > Network Interface > Manage > Open vSwitch settings. Click on the enable check mark.

Now you can open Docker. At this point it will ask you to check out the help on Docker, which you should do. Once you're done with the help, close that dialog box and click on the DDSM tab, just below Overview.

You are now ready to create a DDSM, which is a smaller version of DSM that will run in a virtual environment, it's like having a second NAS! Click the Add button, You'll get a dialog to choose a name for you Container, than you'll want to check Execute container using high privilege and you can create a shortcut if you like. Click next.

For the Network Settings, you can choose DHCP to start, you can always change this later like you can on a regular DSM install. Click next.

Create a shared folder an choose the name of that folder. Click next.

Download from Synology, and click next.
Once this is done, you'll see a summary of your chosen options and you can Run the container after the wizard is finished. Click Apply.

Now the fun part begins:-)
To "see" that new DDSM, you have to connect to it. So in Docker, in the DSM tab, you'll see your new container listed there. Highlight it and click the Connect button. If you see a "This connection is Not Private" message, show details, and click visit this website link. You'll have to authenticate to unlock your keychain.

Now we setup that new DDSM like it was a new NAS.

I have selected to share my Synology device's location, don't know if it's necessary for the Download Station to work though.

For the rest, it's pretty much like you would do on a regular DSM, so you go to Package Center, install your Download Station, install the plugins you want inside it.

Than you have to create a VPN connection inside that DDSM. So go in Control Panel, Network, Network interface. Click Create, Create VPN Profile and follow the instruction from your VPN provider to create the VPN connection. Once this is done and connected. You'll have Download Station working in a DSM going through it's own VPN, without effecting the rest of your network traffic and presumably slowing it down.

PS. You'll have access to the data within this container from your Primary NAS, but you have to give access to your user so you can copy stuff from it to your main DSM so you can have the content available in Plex or DS Video, etc...

I haven't found a way to automatically move date from the DDSM to my main DSM though, so if anyone know how to do this, without getting the mac involve that would be great.

Anyway, I hope that gives you guys some ideas and opens up possibility with Docker and DDSM!

Share: