Forum

[Solved] Syncing photos  

RSS

I am wondering what is the best way to sync/back up photos from my home iMac to the Synology NAS DS212? (The Synology NAS system is updated.)

I do have other back-ups already including Backblaze. However, I am trying to get to a point where photos my wife takes on her iphone sync to the Synology automatically (as she does not "back up" very often) and also enable her to access all photos on the NAS remotely. So far I have avoided subscribing to a paid icloud account.

Thanks for any suggestions!

@iwarwick If you haven't installed Moments on your NAS, do so. Than on your iOS devices install the Moments app. Enable backup photo in the app and all your photos will be uploaded on your NAS. I'm not sure the DS212 is supported though, it seems a bit old;-)

Here's a link on Synology's site
https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/Mobile/help/Moments/iOS_iPhone

If your Synology doesn't support Moments, you can still use the previous solution from them which was Photos, and DS photos, which essentially did the same thing albeit with a bit less functionality, but the backup photo was there. HTH.

Thanks.

I have Photo Station installed, but need to look into it further - didn't get much time to investigate DSM over the weekend.

Seconding @jefflambert670's advice for Moments. It's akin to running your own Google Photos setup on your NAS. Synology has done a nice job with the initial release, and I expect good things will continue as they grow the product.

Share: