Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Synology ONLY drives going forward? What?!

RSS

Topic starter

So while researching a possible upgrade to our 1819+'s I was stumbled across a 1 star review someone had left for a DiskStation DS2422+ on the vendors site,  I gasped when I read it:

"

Synology Confirms New Hard Drive Vendor Lock Restrictions on this Model

For the first time with a DS unit, Synology has disabled basic functionality for non-Synology brand drives, effectively vendor locking these units to their own drives. The following text was sent from Synology sales support, and has been confirmed now by users who have this new model in-hand:

Yes, the functionality is different from the way older models work. Unverified hard drives can be used but will display a warning while they are in the NAS. Both unverified and incompatible drives will not be able to display bad sector count, temperature, serial number, and other SMART fields.

1. Drives listed on the incompatible list for a NAS will not be able to be used in that NAS in any way unless migrated from another Synology NAS.
2. If a drive is not listed in either the compatible or incompatible section then it is considered unverified. These drives can be used but will display a warning while they are in the NAS.
3. Both unverified and incompatible drives will not be able to display bad sector count, temperature, serial number, and other SMART fields.

"

and the venders response:

"We have mentioned these to many of our customers, the drives work well, but as soon as Synology disables 'SMART' settings it's very difficult if not impossible to manage. Unfortunately, we do need a lot more users to remonstrate to Synology, allowing a 'U' turn, but currently all our pleas have fallen on deaf ears at Synology. Thank you for sharing this information."

This makes Apple appear like it is practically Open Source, I don't see a legit reason for making every interchangeable part of a device only brand specific except for money grabbing. That's my initial reaction and opinion BUT would like to hear others here and if it's time or not to move on from Synology?  

Topic Tags
Share: