Forum

Which Synology NAS Drive?  

RSS

Can I ask which Synology NAS drive Dave & John recommend.

I have a Drobo 5N that I am beginning to lose faith with and am looking for an alternative.

I presume I could not just talk ether drives from my Drobo and install them in at the new NAS?

Thanks in advance

You can reuse the physical disks, but the data will be lost. That is to say, I do not think the Synology will be able to read the data from a Drobo disk, so you will be re-formatting the drive file systems when you install them into the Synology.

I got a 6-Bay DS1618+ Synology and I'm happy so far (it has only been a few months, and I have not tried all the things it can do).

I did re-use my Drobo drives in the Synology, but I had to transfer the data incrementally. Put some storage in the Synology, transfer data via the network until the Synology storage was more or less full, delete those files from the Drobo so there was enough free space on the Drobo to remove a drive. Move drive from the Drobo to the Synology, transfer more data. Wash, Rinse, Repeat. A rather slow process.

One thing I noticed is that it seems to take the Synology longer to re-balance the RAID after adding a new drive, than the Drobo. But neither units are fast as redistributing data across new drives, or when losing a drive. Both are slow, but it seems the Synology is slower.

Topic Tags
Share: