Forum

How to Choose the B...

How to Choose the Best Mesh Wireless System For Your Home  

Page 4 / 4
  RSS

dth-boise
(@dth-boise)
December 10, 2018 8:50 EST AM  

Nice article. Can you also visit how well Apple AirPlay works with the various mesh Wi-Fi systems? I installed Google WiFi and it substantially degraded the Airply performance between a newer iPad and older Apple TV located just 3 feet away.

ReplyQuote
davidson
(@davidson)
December 14, 2018 12:13 EST PM  

Thank you so much for info!

ReplyQuote
(@curtisflloyd)
January 8, 2019 11:54 EST AM  

Great article. With the demise of Apple’s offering, the search for a worthy replacement has been daunting. This article definitely helps. However, I recently switched to CenturyLink fiber 1Gbs service. I’m told I don’t need a modem if the router supports PPoE and VLAN tagging. Do any of these mesh systems support those?

ReplyQuote
jkdawson
(@jkdawson)
February 14, 2019 12:11 EST AM  

I got the two node Orbi system for a little over $200 back in Black November and it has been great. The three node (AC3000) system is regularly available at Costco for for about $300. A friend of mine put one of those in his more challenging for wifi home and it has also worked out very well. In both cases, wifi performance now matches the performance of ethernet direct to the cable modem anywhere in the house. The Orbi app and admin web page both are mediocre. Strangely, there are some functions one can only do on the app and others you can only do through the admin page. Neither seem to be suited for anyone who wants to do super geeky tweeking.

ReplyQuote
John Kheit
(@john-kheit)
May 21, 2019 12:50 EDT PM  

Great compendium Dave. Any chance you might add the Synology mesh to this list? Also, any thoughts on if when we will see AX and/or AD added to these mesh offerings?

ReplyQuote
Dave Hamilton
(@davehamilton)
Admin
May 21, 2019 1:25 EDT PM  

Indeed! Synology Mesh will be coming in the next update, most likely (I noted this as the last entry of this changelog, but I realize most folks don't read that far! 🙂

As for Wi-Fi 6, I haven't seen any yet, other than the Asus Mesh stuff (which is quasi-mesh, at the moment). But it'll come, I'm sure. Likely end of 2019/beginning of 2020 (CES 2020 for sure, I'd think).

ReplyQuote
Ari Laquidara
(@tech_hero)
Estimable Member
May 28, 2019 11:48 EDT AM  

@davehamilton sounds good -- I'm already such a huge fan of Synology that it might be nice to just use their mesh and be done with it. Looking forward to that review!

ReplyQuote
(@phillip_comer)
August 26, 2019 6:00 EDT PM  

@Dave, thanks for the great comparison. Since you’ve used them all I wonder if you could answer 2 questions? Is there any other difference in the Ubiquity Gamer Edition? And do you HAVE to connect a social media account to do remote administration or can you creat an account with username/password?

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@mariokarttour)
October 17, 2019 6:18 EDT PM  

thanks, I will try

ReplyQuote
(@greg_gehr)
November 10, 2019 2:38 EST AM  

Hi Dave! Any updates on your Synology mesh test?

ReplyQuote
Dave Hamilton
(@davehamilton)
Admin
November 11, 2019 4:57 EST PM  

@greg_gehr – that's coming in the next update. The Synology stuff needed some time to mature, as has been the case with a lot of these mesh products.

ReplyQuote
melaniestaines
(@melaniestaines)
November 28, 2019 5:43 EST AM  

I had nice read on your informative write on wireless system. Keep up the good work and keep sharing such useful information. Share something on how to secure your wireless system and on VPN. Great deals are live this Black Friday like

PureVPN’s Black Friday VPN Deal With More Than 88% Off offering 5 Year Plan for $1.32/m per month and total $79.

ReplyQuote
jforbush
(@jforbush)
Eminent Member
December 1, 2019 4:50 EST PM  

I wonder how the new UniFi Dream Machine (and the pending “Pro”) will fare?

ReplyQuote
melaniestaines
(@melaniestaines)
December 2, 2019 1:15 EST PM  

Yeah i also have no idea of it.

ReplyQuote
melaniestaines
(@melaniestaines)
December 2, 2019 1:17 EST PM  

Are you peeps looking for a massive discount on VPNs this Cyber Monday?

One of the most reliable names in the industry, PureVPN, is offering their 5 Year plan at 88% OFF. This means you only pay $79 for 60 whole months of VPN service!

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4
Share: