Forum

Disable tailspind and spindump to Speed Up your Mac  

Page 2 / 2 Prev
  RSS

tdearborn@district106.net
(@tdearborndistrict106-net)
August 27, 2018 10:59 EST PM  

If you are entering a command that has sudo in front of it, you may be prompted for your admin password.

A word of caution and a  disclaimer: do not enter commands if you do not fully understand what they are doing.  MacObserver or the contributors to this forum are not responsible if you machine blows up in a flaming ball of fire because of something you enter in the terminal.

ReplyQuote
brucemusic
(@brucemusic)
August 28, 2018 9:23 EST AM  

Fantastic tip, thanks a lot!

- Alex

This post was modified 3 months  ago by Dave Hamilton

ReplyQuote
NerdyDeeds
(@nerdydeeds)
October 20, 2018 8:01 EST PM  
Posted by: Steven De Schamphelaere

Possibly very helpfull, but before I try: how can you enable both processes again in case some critical applications rely on it?

Yeah man. To reverse it it's as follows:

sudo mv /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.spindump.plist.bak /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.spindump.plist

sudo mv /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.tailspind.plist.bak /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.tailspind.plist

See what's happening here in his code is the following:
1. sudo launchctl unload -w [...]apple.spindump.plist
stop the process that handles the dumping:
sudo
("super-user: do")
launchctl ("launch controller" - basically the process manager for Linux)
unload ("stop" - unload it from memory)
-w ("[w]rite" - save the new configuration to disk)
[...]apple.spindump.plist (I abbreviated the path here. This is the 'p-list' or 'preferences list or 'processes list'' file for spindump, get it?)

2. sudo mv [...].apple.spindump.plist [...].apple.spindump.plist.bak
Rename the process so it cannot be found by the system (which has its name hard-coded). The .bak extension is used so you've got it as a "bak-up". You could just as easily call it "roses.are.red" but this makes it easier to change back later.
sudo again
mv ('move'. Which Linux also uses for 'rename")
[...].apple.spindump.plist [...].apple.spindump.plist.bak (from the first path listed to the second. Basically, he's just tacking on .bak to the end of the process, so when something tries to run it, it cannot be located, and fails gracefully, meaning the computer just carries on with its business).

3, sudo launchctl unload -w [...]apple.tailspin.plist 
sudo mv [...].apple.tailspin.plist [...].apple.tailspin.plist.bak
The next lines do the same as #1-2 for tailspin.

See, there's no great arcane magic taking place here. He's stopping two background-processes, then "misplacing" them so your Mac can't call 'em.

csrutil disable

Basically says to your mac, "[Disable] the [c]omputer's [s]ystem [r]egulator [util]ity until further notice. S'why AFTER you make this change (which will persist until you mv the file names back to their originals, as the code I provided above does) it's really important that you run the restart process again, csrutil enable the regulators back ON, and then reboot one final time. All that rigamarole is just to give you enough temporary access rights to screw with the Mac's deep-down settings. You DO NOT want said regulators disabled all the time.

Leaving spindump and tailspin disabled won't hurt anything other than Apple's ability to get a detailed explanation of an event when something goes wrong anonymously mailed to them. Unless you're a hardcore developer (as I used to be - for Apple, point of fact) you won't care. If it boots your performance? Knock yourself out; you're safe. Won't void your warranty or nothin'.

NerdyDeedsDone.Cheap

This post was modified 4 weeks  ago 2 times by NerdyDeeds

ReplyQuote
Graham McKay
(@kiwigraham)
October 31, 2018 10:50 EST AM  

Does anybody have direct experience that this procedure is still valid for 10.14.x Mojave?

My 2012 MBPr is starting to feel like it can't afford to waste any CPU cycles!

ReplyQuote
Dave Hamilton
(@davehamilton)
Admin
October 31, 2018 11:16 EST AM  

Those processes all seem to exist the same on my Mojave Mac, so yeah, if you're seeing them slow things down I think this method would help alleviate that here, too.

ReplyQuote
(@entytech)
November 8, 2018 6:24 EST AM  

May be. 

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2 Prev
Share: