Forum

Akismet and the surveillance economy  

RSS

gGrant
(@ggrant)
October 16, 2018 9:57 EST PM  

I might be slow at discovering Akismet keeping TMO clear of spam. I'm just a little concerned TMO has joined the surveillance economy after reading Akismet's Privacy Notice and Privacy Policy. That's an awful lot of data collection. I hope TMO is getting a good rate for it, not just spam protection for no cost. If you're going to tell me you're paying for it… I'd love to hear the pros & cons. Fascinating subject.

ReplyQuote
Dave Hamilton
(@davehamilton)
Admin
October 19, 2018 4:17 EST PM  
Posted by: gGrant

I might be slow at discovering Akismet keeping TMO clear of spam. I'm just a little concerned TMO has joined the surveillance economy after reading Akismet's Privacy Notice and Privacy Policy. That's an awful lot of data collection. I hope TMO is getting a good rate for it, not just spam protection for no cost. If you're going to tell me you're paying for it… I'd love to hear the pros & cons. Fascinating subject.

We've been using Akismet for years in the comments and now the forums. I'm not sure what the concern is, though? All the comments posted here are publicly accessible regardless.

ReplyQuote
gGrant
(@ggrant)
October 21, 2018 6:02 EST AM  

Much more than the comments collected, of course. Much more than Public information, too.
If anyone else is following this (and they DO collect what you follow), I'll let them read the details themselves at:

Privacy Notice for Visitors to Our Users’ Sites

Privacy Policy

Quick (???) summary: you might agree, it's quite a fingerprint

Follower and Subscriber Information, includes an email address.
Site Comments, and other information that the visitor provides along with the comment, such as the visitor’s name and email address.
PollDaddy Survey Responses and other information like an e-mail address.
Order and Shipment Information including credit card and billing information, address, we may also use this information for other purposes… marketing and other communications … User with analytics
Other Information Entered on the Site: including contact form submission… search queries… Site registration.
Account Information…username and email address.
Public Profile Information… including photo or an “About Me” description
Site operator's Ecommerce Site Information… including financial account, Stripe or PayPal, bank account information.
Site operators' Content Information including… information about you in draft and published content, biographic information.
Site operators' Credentials…SSH, FTP, and SFTP username and password

Information We Collect Automatically
Log Information that web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, IP address, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring site, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information, when you create or make changes to your website
Site operators' Usage Information including… site administrators and users perform… who did what, when and to what thing on a site, email address, WooCommerce settings, PHP settings, and other features for your site, along with information about your online store, such as the aggregate number of orders and customers… page views, support document searches, your device (e.g., screen size, name of cellular network, and mobile device manufacturer).
Location Information: approximate location from your IP address…to calculate how many people visit … from certain geographic regions Precise location via our mobile apps (when, for example, you post a photograph with location information) if you allow us to do so through your mobile device operating system’s permissions.
Stored Information: information stored on your mobile device … if you give us permission to access the photographs on your mobile device’s camera roll
Interactions with Other Users’ Sites: “Likes” and the fact that you commented on a particular post… comments you make while logged in to your account to, for example, tally up statistics about your comments
Information from Cookies & Other Technologies… Pixel tags … identify and track visitors, usage, and access preferences… track and understand email campaign effectiveness
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We may also get information about you from other sources… if you create or log into …Google… Twitter… username, basic profile information, and friends list

We may also get information, such as a mailing address, from third party services about individuals who are not yet our users

Purposes for Using Information
monitor and analyze trends… measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising… user retention and attrition

ReplyQuote
Share: