Forum

Amazon just bought Eero?  

RSS

Just as my I just go comfortable with my new Eero system, they get bought out by Amazon? Looks like IM going to dust off my old 6th Gen TC and return the Eero. No faith in Amazon when it comes to privacy issues. Thoughts?

How does Ubiquiti Labs AmpliFi HD WiFi Router and AmpliFi Instant WiFi compare hardware wise as a Eero replacement? Thinking of getting one of each to replace my two 2nd gen Eeros. 

This is nuts! I'm floored. I've been setting up Eero for my clients for 2+ years now. I've got Eero in probably 200 client homes. Now I'm feeling a little more like this: https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/12/18221441/amazon-buying-eero-disappointing

Many of my clients are very protective of their privacy, and choose Apple-only ecosystems without Alexa, Facebook, (or sometimes even Google) in order to preserve that privacy. Now there are some real concerns to think about.

@davehamilton has been speaking highly of Plume v2 and Velop. Now might be a good time to make the switch.

Curious on @davehamiltion take on this and his thoughts on  a AmpliFi HD WiFi Router and a AmpliFi Instant WiFi compare hardware wise as a Eero replacement? Thinking of getting one of each to replace my two 2nd gen Eeros. 

3 Answers

so when you're setting up a WiFi network what channels are best?

The 2.4GHz radios are best set for channel 1, 6 or 11.  The most important thing is that your 2.4GHz channel should be 5 channels away from the strong neighbor's channels.  A WiFi scan can help you with that.

Finder -> Go -> Go to folder -> /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications

and launch: Wireless Diagnostics.app

Wireless Diagnostic -> Window -> Scan

will allow you to find all the visible WiFi base stations your Mac can see.  The RSSI value is the signal strength.  -30's is strong, -90 is weak.  Find the channel that is ideally 5 away from any other strong WiFi base stations.  If you live in an apartment/condo complex and there is nothing but signals on all channels, find the channel that has the weakest overlapping channels and chooses that.

5GHz channels do not overlap, so for a 20MHz channel, you can use any channel.  HOWEVER, it is not uncommon for a WiFi base station to attempt to join adjacent channels together to get a wider channel.  Keeping that in mine, I like channel 36 or 149.

Or for some modern WiFi base stations, just let the WIFi base stations use its automatic mode and figure it out for itself.

Yeah... LOTS of questions about this, both here and in email (and Twitter and every other way folks know to get in touch with me! ;).

We discussed this briefly in MGG 748, and I think it’ll happen again in MGG 749. 🙂

It’s one of those things… we each choose our place on that continuum between security and convenience.

My biggest concern about the purchase is attention: will eero still have the regular updates, innovation, and level of customer service? You know... the things that made us really love and trust it.
Because, lets face it, most of us probably haven't ever talked with folks at eero. I have – and I'm possibly the only one here who has – but even still? They were, to me, unknowns before they started eero. So why trust them more or less than Amazon? And, at least we know Amazon's motives. Eero was a VC-funded company. Lots of not-necessarily-public motives there.
I'm not saying there was a problem with anything at eero. In fact, if pressed I would say the opposite. But... I'm trying to put this all in perspective. Objectively, we're probably safer with Amazon.
But at what cost?
This post was modified 8 months ago by Dave Hamilton

As for other options... nothing is perfect, and we've always said that. eero is most certainly among the ones at the top of my list. For many people eero is my first recommendation.

Plume's new SuperPods are right up there with them, too (Plume's original Pods, not so much). But Plume likes to run at 40MHz 2.4GHz channels, which, in my opinion, is simply irresponsible Wi-Fi. They say they ratchet back when in a congested area, but (a) I don't believe them because I can see it and (b) why even go 40MHz in the first place? 2.4GHz has literally no room for that in 95% of homes. I digress.

Ubiquiti's AmpliFi (and UniFi) are great solutions, and I really like AmpliFi for most consumers. Of course, as I say that I think about its caveat: flexibility. If you buy a "pack" of AmpliFi units, it can only be used with itself. This means if you have an existing AmpliFi setup and decide you want 3 more access points, you can't buy the 3-pack because that's hardware-locked to its own setup. Very bizarre.

These caveats probably don't apply to you (or, well, AmpliFi's doesn't anyway), but still... these are the things we dig into and find and then ... nothing's perfect. 🙂 But a lot of stuff is good, including everything I've mentioned in this post.

@davehamilton, I heard you speak highly of Velop recently. I also noticed Apple is selling Velop at their retail stores. Maybe they are the next best in line?

Velop is ok. It’s Tri-Band if you want that, and locally managed if you want that. @bryanchaffin runs it at his place and loves it. I suppose I’m just not blown away. Everything about it is fine, but software-wise it feels limited.

@davehamilton, your comment about 40mhz is interesting to me, but I’m not familiar with how MHz comes into play with WiFi. Is there a good  article you can point me to?

Share: