Forum

Notifications
Clear all

As of 2020, what is a good budget option for a router?  

RSS

I am going back home to where we have 1.5Mbps speed, but now we are changing to Spectrum's 100Mbps. Yay!

I have been doing some research myself but I feel like there is so many mixed reviews about every single product. Hence my post. I am looking for a budget and reliable way of setting up the network in my parent's home. I was leaning on having the Spectrum provided modem and buying a router, with maybe wifi extenders, but if a better and equally costly way is suggested, I'm all for it.

I was going to pull the trigger TP-Link Archer A7, but then I read that it can be considered outdated. I was also looking at the Archer A9

Thank you in advance for any help.

3 Answers

Running Ubiquiti systems at work and (now) at camp, but still using an Eero system at home.  No complaints (other than Eeero being owned by Amazon now) with either.

No experience the the Synology router, but from what I've read and hear, folks love that as well.

I am going back home to where we have 1.5Mbps speed, but now we are changing to Spectrum's 100Mbps. Yay!

Are you going to just to do the upgrade for your parents, or are you moving back home and you will be one of the primary consumers of this bandwidth?

If after the upgrade, it will just be your parents using the system, then consider a system where you can do remote management.  I DO NOT know about every system, but the eero is totally controlled via the phone app, so you could manage it from anywhere in the world.

I'm sure there are other mesh systems that also have remote management.  But that is something you might want to consider if it is just going to be your parents using the system.

If you are moving back home, then remote management is less important, but you should get something that will satisfy you.

I am an eero user (pre-Amazon ownership) and I've been satisfied, but since then many more mesh systems have come on the market.  I always point to the MacObserver's mesh network guide, and the Wirecutter.com mesh guide when suggesting systems to people.

Share: