Forum

[Solved] Eero v1 vs. Eero v2 radios  

RSS

I understand that the newer version 2 Eero devices (the full-size Eeros, not Eero Beacons) have tri-band radios, two 5-Ghz radios and one 2.4-Ghz radio.  This compares with one 5-Ghz radio and one-2.4 Ghz radio for the older v1 Eero.  The claim has been made that the extra 5-Ghz radio optimizes backhaul traffic to the router with a wireless connection.

If a set of three v2 Eeros were connected by ethernet (the "main" Eero connected by ethernet cable to the cable modem and the other two Eeros connected by ethernet to the "main" Eero router), would all 3 radios be used for wi-fi bandwidth for wifi-connected devices?  In other words, does Eero's design require that one of the 5-Ghz radios be devoted for wireless backhaul to the router, or is all radio bandwidth available for device wi-fi traffic when backhaul is handled by wired ethernet?

I currently have a 3-Eero (version 1, connected by ethernet) setup that works well for about 20 connected devices in a large home.  The number of devices is expected to increase, with at least one family member wanting increased bandwidth for gaming.  Would I gain wi-fi bandwidth by changing one or more of my current v1 Eeros to v2 Eeros?

Great question, @infantrytrophy. The answer is a resounding yes: if Ethernet is used for back-haul, then all three radios are dedicated for front-haul connections.

The cool part is that even if you're using Wi-Fi back-haul, all three radios will be used for everything, both front-haul and back-haul, managed as needed by the mesh.

Share: