Forum

NetGear/SoftTree support.  

RSS

Was unable to update the firmware on my NetGear X8 R8500 using the Nighthawk app on my iPhone yesterday. Went to routerlogin.net on my iMac. Was presented in a short time with a chat request. Agent. on chat asked for my phone number to have a support agent call. The man who called did apply the update via the NetGear Genie app on my iMac. He also updated the firmware on my wifi extender. He said he saw as lot of spurious activity on my network (I allowed him to use a support program to look at the network.) There were several IP addresses listed on the terminal that were not on my local domain. In short, I wound up signing up for a "home internet security contract", and having him remotely configure my network.

Am I being too trusting or too paranoid here? The setup reminds me of Norton Internet security. Does anyone have experience with SoftTree? Is this unnecessary or, worse still, a scam?

2 Answers

Wow... I've never heard of that happening, but obviously you were on the phone with real Netgear support. I think you're OK, but I also totally understand why you're cautious!

I've had similar problem around 2 months back and was contacted by agent at softtree who were very polite, patient and provided instant solution. They also performed firmware update. Since then I'm not facing any issue and they assured me to solve any problem related to network issues in future also.

Hello Guys. Well. I'm only here because I feel like RGJfromJeffersonton. I just purchased a NetGear Wifi Range extender EX3700 from Amazon. I received today and went to get it all setup. Went to the website in the manual for set up and it took me to this site which was useless. I instructed me to call a 800# to get assistance setting it up. They also gave me the spill about the foreign IP addresses etc. To make a long story short, they wanted to sell me a firewall.
My main question is are they teamed up with NetGear? Are they legit?

Share: