Forum

Nighthawk X6 R8000 and Comcast Gig speed Internet  

RSS

I just upgraded my Comcast internet to Gig speed and the Nighthawk X6 R8000 router I have that has been working flawlessly up to this point now I cannot get speeds past 500-600 mbps. My modem is the Netgear CM1000 so I know that’s OK and plus I plugged Ethernet directly into my Mac and got the gig speeds. Power cycled both devices, did a hard reset of the router and set it back up and the same results. I did search Google on this and it seems some folks were having issues with this and found it to be working sometimes but most of the time not. Any thoughts on this?

I don’t have an X6 powered up right now so I can’t walk through the exact screens, but take a look for QoS (specifically WAN-port QoS, where it asks you for your Internet speeds, etc) and disable that. 

QoS requires a LOT of CPU to get it going, and it’s entirely possible that the X6 can’t handle that load along with everything else. Disabling QoS should allow traffic to pass unencumbered (and uninspected!) and potentially fix this.

Of course, it’s also possible that QoS is set to throttle at 600Mbps, so check for that, too.

Share: