Forum

Setting up and accessing WiFi Extender. Help please.  

RSS

The instructions are - "Your access point management page default IP address http://192.168.10.1 (when the computer is connected directly to TPL‐430AP’s LAN port) is accessed through..." and "Assign a static IP address to your computer’s network adapter in the subnet of 192.168.10.x (ex. 192.168.10.25) and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. "

Seems simple. But I'm in the insanity loop of expecting different outcomes doing the same thing. I have gotten it to work once but I don't remember the settings.

I use Mojave (latest of everthing) Pref/Network to make settings and LAN Scan to observe results. The Router uses 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 and sits at 192.168.1.254 and has 27 devices on it. (I did mess up the Router trying to add a subnet and reset it.) I've read up in masking until my eyes water; most of it is ABOUT and not HOW specifically with examples. When it did work, 192.168.10.25 did show up in LAN Scan en0 listing along with the 192.168.1.1 to 254 addresses.

The PL entry point connected by CAT to a Router Lan port. Ethernet over PLC from Mac by Thunderbolt/Ethernet adapter CAT wire to Extender Combo. The Extender Combo is lit up showing Power, LAN (Ethernet), Data (PLC is sync'd and working), antennas 1 and 2.

I now think that I should not be using the macOS to add a static IP (or should I?). Changing the WiFi/Ethernet settings in Prefs/Network seems to affect the only macOS settings and not adding a static IP. Currently, the TB/Ethernet side is not connected and shows the dreaded 169.254.xx.xx self-assigned IP address. I haven't been able to reset it (have rebooted both ends, alternating CAT cable PL then Mac, and Mac the PL to encourage detection. no joy. An idea would help here.

Screen Shot 2019 05 09 at 4.16.34 PM

Rather than try to recap all my experiments perhaps a step by step to establishing the IP would be best. Thx, Mike BTW, LAN Scan has pull-downs for en0, en4, en5, etc. What is "en" mean?

This topic was modified 7 months ago by mrnoonan
1 Answer

Your post has lots of detail but is quite confusing to read. I think the steps in the guide that tell you to allocate a static IP address on your Mac are confusing you and probably they aren't necessary because the extender will stop using the 192.168.10.1 address as soon as it connects to your router.

So the generic steps for setting up your extender I think would be:

1. If necessary, factory reset the extender, then watch for it to reboot.
  2. If necessary, push the appropriate buttons to get the extender unit to synchronise the Powerline connection with the base powerline unit that is connected to your router. (Often this involves pressing and holding the sync button for a few seconds on each device to put them into sync mode)  
  3. Once the extender has established a powerline connection to your router it should start using a new IP address as distributed by your router - within the 192.168.1.x range.
  4. With your Mac connected to your normal wifi (with normal DHCP network setting), use your browser to connect to the management page for your router (probably 192.168.1.1) to identify the address the extender has been given. 
  5. That same management section should allow you to configure the router to make that a static/permanent allocation - usually by equating the MAC address of the extender to the IP address. That will ensure the extender interface is always available at that address.
  6. Use your browser to connect to that IP address and the management page for the extender should present itself.
  7. Update the wifi settings of the extender as you would prefer to have them. Most people would choose to use the same network name & password as their main router (in which case your extender has a "clone" option to do that easily) but others prefer to have a slightly different name so that they can manually decide which wireless access point they're connecting to.

Hope that helps 🙂 

Share: