Forum

[Solved] Synology RT2600ac router with Synology VPN Plus  

RSS

I have installed the VPN plus package to my Synology router.  It works great with my IOS devices, because they have an app.  I just plug in my credentials and away we go.  Sometimes I use my MacBook in places where I want security.  How do I connect to my Synology VPN plus with my MacBook.  The Synology site is using an ancient version of OSX and those options are not available with high Sierra.  I would like something that would work with high Sierra and Mojave and beyond.  Any thoughts?

You should be able to visit the URL in SRM > VPN Plus Server > Synology VPN and that will get you to a place where you can login and all that. 

Pasted Image 8 16 18Thu  10 04 AM

Pasted Image 8 16 18Thu  10 07 AM

This post was modified 3 months  ago by Dave Hamilton

Got it.  it says to download a client, which tells me to log in through a browser.  So riddle me this:  I log in through a browser, is all network traffic going through the VPN then or just traffic through that browser?

Got it.  it says to download a client, which tells me to log in through a browser.  So riddle me this:  I log in through a browser, is all network traffic going through the VPN then or just traffic through that browser?

I am inside my network now, so I can't re-test, but I am 99.9% certain that once you've logged in and activated the VPN, all traffic goes through the VPN.

Thanks, much appreciated

🤗

Synology has several different VPN methods.  The web based login is used for SSL VPN which is a GUI-friendly way to set up a VPN that tunnels over the SSL protocol.

Once you login (either via a web browser or the mobile app), the VPN is active and all traffic (not just web browsing) will be protected using VPN.

If you prefer to not use a web or app login, you can setup the Synology for a regular L2TP VPN service.  This is almost as secure but has the big advantage of using the built-in L2TP client software that is part of iOS, Windows, MacOS and most other modern operating systems.

Using L2TP can be easier because you only use the software built-in to your device, but you do have to enter the server name, login name, password, and passphrase ("secret") the first time you set it up.

Just don't use the older PPTP protocol; it has been easily hacked and is not secure in any way.  It really should be turned off and not offered any more but almost all VPN systems still allow it for "backward compatibility" with really old systems.

Share: