Mac Gaming News - Blizzard Sets a New 1-Day Sales Record With Lich King
by , 2:55 PM EST, November 20th, 2008
Blizzard Entertainment on Thursday announced that its Wrath of the Lich King expansion pack for World of Warcraft (WoW) sold more than 2.8 million copies in its first 24 hours of availability, breaking the industry record it set in January 2007, when 2.4 million copies of the WoW expansion The Burning Crusade were sold in the same time period.
Over 15,000 stores around the world opened at midnight on November 13 to sell the game and hold release parties. Blizzard employees were on hand at several of those events to meet players and sign copies of the game.
More than 11 million players are active World of Warcraft subscribers worldwide. The game is set in the world of Azeroth, where two factions, known as the Horde and the Alliance, battle for control. Wrath of the Lich King reintroduces a character first seen in the strategy game Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. The Lich King Arthas and his minions known as the Scourge are bent on conquering Azeroth, and the Horde and Alliance have put aside their differences to battle his forces on the continent of Northrend, which is new to the game.
The sight that greets Horde players when they arrive in Northrend
- Fri, 2:01 PM
- Amazon's Echo First Amendment Rights Fight - TMO Daily Observations 2017-02-24
- Fri, 10:01 AM
- iTunes Remote App gets Two-Factor Authentication Support
- Fri, 9:00 AM
- Disk Drill PRO 3 for Mac for $34.99
- Thu, 6:33 PM
- 7 Reasons For Apple to Discontinue the Mac Pro
- Thu, 6:02 PM
- Can WALTR 2 Really Be Your iTunes Replacement?
- Thu, 4:54 PM
- New Mac Ransomware Leaves Your Files Permanently Encrypted
- Thu, 4:04 PM
- Acoustic Imaging and iPhone 8: Can You Hear My Fingerprint?
- Thu, 3:58 PM
- Stop Facebook's Emotional Manipulation With This Tool
- Thu, 1:55 PM
- iPhone 8 3D Cameras, iMazing Tips - TMO Daily Observations 2017-02-23
- Thu, 9:25 AM
- macOS: How to See the Hierarchy of Your File Locations
- Thu, 9:00 AM
- BK SPORT Bluetooth 4.0 Headphones: $16.99
- Wed, 6:39 PM
- Frolic in the Apple Park, Rumors for iPad and Apple Watch - ACM 399