Great news for those of you who use the Checkra1n jailbreak – the developers have updated it to support iOS 14. A popular jailbreak, Checkra1n is based on a bootrom exploit used to jailbreak iOS devices up to the iPhone X, so it’s no surprise it’s the first of the recent jailbreak tools to be updated for the new iOS firmware. If you haven’t yet installed Checkra1n, here’s everything you need to know.
How to Use Checkra1n to Jailbreak iOS 14:
Installing the jailbreak on your device is not difficult; follow these steps carefully:
- Download Checkra1n onto your Mac computer
- Open the .dmg file and drag the jailbreak app to your Applications folder – this will start the installation process.
- Go to Applications and right-click on Checkra1n; click on Open. You mustn’t double-click the app to open it.
- A Security Dialog box will open; click on Open.
- Plug your device into your computer and, if you get a Trust This Computer message on your device, tap Trust and type in your device passcode.
- The jailbreak should automatically detect your device; if it doesn’t, a message will appear on the screen, and the Start button will not be available.
- If your device is compatible and is detected, click on Start.
- Now your device must go into DFU mode – here’s how to do that:
- Keep your device connected to your computer, and power the device off.
- Press on the side and volume down buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds or more – if you see the Apple logo, you will need to restart the process.
- Let go of the side button but continue to press the volume down button for at least 5 seconds – if the Connect to iTunes logo appears on the screen, the buttons were held for too long.
- While in DFU, your device should only have a black screen, and the jailbreak app will automatically detect it.
- Now the jailbreak process will begin, and the Checkra1n loader app shows up on your home screen.
- Open the app and tap Cydia – this will install the jailbreak package manager, and the jailbreak process is complete.
Now you can download many apps and tweaks on your iPhone.
Note: iOS 14 support is only preliminary at this stage, and the jailbreak is also not supported on every device that can be jailbroken using the Checkm8 exploit.
You can install the Checkra1n jailbreak on the following devices on iOS 14:
- iPhone 6s, 6s Plus, and SE
- iPad 5th generation
- iPad Air 2
- iPad mini 4
- iPad Pro 1st generation
- Apple TV 4 and 4K
Why Doesn’t Checkra1n Support All Devices on iOS 14?
Right now, the jailbreak developers are working on supporting additional devices, including the iPod Touch 7, iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPhone 7, and iPhone 7 Plus.
The reason why the A11 and other devices, such as the iPhone 8 and iPhone x series, are not supported right now is that Apple brought in new security changes in iOS 14.
What to Know About Checkra1n for iOS 14:
Before you go ahead and download the checkra1n jailbreak, there are a few things you need to know:
- It would help if you had a Linux or Mac computer to install Checkra1n; Windows is not supported, although it is expected to be short.
- Checkra1n is semi-untethered; that means your computer is required to get the jailbreak process going, and this will be required whenever your device has to reboot for any reason.
- While there is little chance of anything happening to your data, you must back it up before you begin the jailbreak process to be on the safe side.
Don’t forget that iOS 14 is relatively new, and this is the first jailbreak utility to support it. That means many of the jailbreak tweaks are unlikely to work as the developers won’t have updated them. You are also likely to run into a few compatibility issues, so it might be better if you can wait a while before installing Checkra1n on your device.
However, if you can’t wait and you want to see what it’s all about, go ahead and install the jailbreak today.