Analyst: Apple to Gain Mac Market Share
TMO Reports - Analyst: Apple to Gain Mac Market Share
by , 6:55 PM EST, March 16th, 2005
The iPod Halo Effect, security problems with Windows, and Apple's ability to use innovation to bring down pricing will lead to the company growing Mac market share over the next two to three years, according to a Wall Street analyst. In a research note obtained by The Mac Observer, Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray told clients that even a minimal gain in market share could have a "significant impact" on the company's earnings per share (EPS).
Noting first the iPod Halo Effect, the idea that people who buy iPods will look more closely at buying a Mac, Mr. Munster again stressed that Apple will gain converts to the Mac platform over time.
"Recently, Street focus has been on quarterly iPod unit numbers," wrote Mr. Jaffray. "While clearly Apple's domination in digital music is a critical piece to the story, we do not believe that iPod is the only potential growth avenue for the company."
Were Apple to grow it's share of the computer market by as little as 1%, said Mr. Jaffray, it could add 25% to Apple's EPS.
"Specifically, we believe that if Apple could grow its market share from 2.0% in CY04 to 3.5% in CY06," wrote Mr. Jaffray, "the incremental add to our existing EPS estimate would be $0.30, or 25%."
More importantly, growth of this nature has not been included in Piper Jaffray's financial models for Apple, on which the firm's Outperform rating and target price of US$52 per share is based. Mr. Munster has instead modeled for a growth in market of .3%, to 2.3% of the market, a number he called conservative in Wednesday's research note.
Mr. Munster reiterated his $52 price target and Outperform rating for Apple's stock, which means he expects it to outperform the markets.
Apple's stock closed higher in Wednesday's trading at $41.18, a gain of 0.22 (+0.54%), on moderate volume of 25 million shares trading hands.
*In the interest of full disclosure, the author holds a small share in APPL stock that was not an influence in the creation of this article.
If you are interested in Apple's stock, join our forum members in the Apple Finance Boards, a moderated forum for Apple Investors and people who are interested in Apple's financial dealings. For other stories regarding Apple's stock activity, visit our updated Apple Stock Watch Special Report.
- Sat, 9:00 AM
- The Mac Observer's iOS 10 Tip Roundup
- Sat, 8:30 AM
- J.D. Powers Finds Apple Music Customers Have Highest Customer Satisfaction
- Fri, 10:21 PM
- Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Hits Mac and Linux
- Fri, 4:54 PM
- Evidence is Mounting: Apple Will Convert the Macs to ARM CPUs
- Fri, 1:38 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-09-30: iPhone Lightning Headphone Adapters, Listener Comments
- Fri, 12:03 PM
- A Game of Thrones Gets Enhanced Edition Exclusive to iBooks
- Fri, 11:25 AM
- macOS Sierra: Fast Sound Settings from the Menu Bar
- Fri, 11:24 AM
- iLDOCK on Kickstarter: Lightning Port and Headphone Jack for iPhone 7
- Fri, 10:00 AM
- Get 8 Mac Utilities for Free
- Fri, 9:57 AM
- CW Shows Come to Apple TV, No Cable Subscription Required
- Thu, 9:34 PM
- Safari 10: Hide Flash from Every Website Except Some
- Thu, 6:53 PM
- Use 3D Touch in LINE to Read Messages without a Read Receipt